ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Video Editing + Coluor correction + Special Effects WORK FLOW

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Firas SameerVideo Editing + Coluor correction + Special Effects WORK FLOW
by on Oct 18, 2015 at 6:51:35 pm

Hi there,

I have a quick question, I am about to work on a project from my client ( a music video clip) that shot using ARRI camera RAW footage 2K and most of the footage are with green screen matt chroma, I also should add some special effects and animations.

my question is I am planning to use adobe premier for editing, After Effects for special effects and Davinci Resolve for colour correction.

What work flow should I follow? should I use premier to edit then will work on the green screen and special effects then Davinci resolve? there are some missing points in this workflow which I am not understanding and I am frustrating, cause if I use after effects to remove the green screen and work on effects I should change and play with the footage colour, and if I need to use davinci resolve for colour correction I need to use the original raw footage for full details and best colorings results ...

Kindly advice and thanks in advance..

regards
Firas

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Video Editing + Coluor correction + Special Effects WORK FLOW
by on Oct 18, 2015 at 7:46:38 pm

It's difficult for any of us to gauge whether your footage really requires adding Resolve to your workflow or not. But, a first glance, I'd say that adding Resolve to your workflow in this case might exponentially increase the complexity of the job. Do you think you can grade in Premiere?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Firas SameerRe: Video Editing + Coluor correction + Special Effects WORK FLOW
by on Oct 19, 2015 at 4:33:19 am

Thank you david for your reply,

I can do colouring using premeir or after effects but my client insist to use the davinci resolve.. Do you think it is possible?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Video Editing + Coluor correction + Special Effects WORK FLOW
by on Oct 19, 2015 at 5:31:30 pm

You'll have to finish with rendered effects shots. Once you start compositing, you must debayer and make some color decisions, and there's no way to get back to the raw data for subsequent coloring.

That said, you should bring a "pre-grade" into VFX. Get the look of the plates as close to final as possible, then composite onto those. Try to get the match as close as possible in Ae. This will minimize the amount of correction necessary down the line in Resolve.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:36:36 pm

Thank you Walter for your reply, I think in this case it is impossible to use Davinci effectively or at least using it as my client required is useless..

So if I will cancel this case scenario and ask a very related question which is if I want to edit the whole clip in premier but using the Davinci for the raw colouring? forget about having the special effects stage I mean if I have different project without special effects and want to use Davinci for colouring and premier for editing how would the correct effective workflow would be? should I correct all footage before using them in premeir? this will waste lots of time, I know inf FCP I can use the proxy so is there is similar options with premier??

thanks again in advance..

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:46:29 pm

[Firas Sameer] "Thank you Walter for your reply, I think in this case it is impossible to use Davinci effectively or at least using it as my client required is useless.."

You can use Resolve for grading. You'll just have to grade the VFX shots from renders instead of from camera masters.

[Firas Sameer] "So if I will cancel this case scenario and ask a very related question which is if I want to edit the whole clip in premier but using the Davinci for the raw colouring? forget about having the special effects stage I mean if I have different project without special effects and want to use Davinci for colouring and premier for editing how would the correct effective workflow would be? should I correct all footage before using them in premeir? this will waste lots of time, I know inf FCP I can use the proxy so is there is similar options with premier??"

The traditional workflow is edit & lock picture in editorial, then conform, grade, output in color.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Video Editing + Coluor correction + Special Effects WORK FLOW
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:57:36 pm

And, the reason the workflow Walter mentions is traditionally the standard is that it's the most efficient workflow, with the fewest points of potential failure.

Doing a "one light" pass to color correct dailies in advance of editing is done all the time, then when the picture is locked, the color correction or addition of a LUT can either be kept on all clips or deleted at the grader's discretion.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:58:59 pm

"The traditional workflow is edit & lock picture in editorial, then conform, grade, output in color."

I think you miss understood me as I wanted to color grade and correct using davinci not premier .. what I understood from your last reply is only what is related to premier .. am I right? otherwise I would appreciate more details to realise where is the missing point I am having..

thanks

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:11:04 pm

[Firas Sameer] "I think you miss understood me as I wanted to color grade and correct using davinci not premier .. what I understood from your last reply is only what is related to premier .. am I right? otherwise I would appreciate more details to realise where is the missing point I am having.."

You edit in Premiere, then export an EDL/XML/AAF when you're done.

Then, in Resolve, you conform. You import the EDL/XML/AAF plus original media, color grade, then output.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:24:02 pm

great, and which format "EDL/XML/AAF" is the best option to export to?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:45:51 pm

I did tried exporting the XML from within premier and did work well, I do not know the difference actually or which one is better but I will use this xml ..

Thank you all for helping me ...

regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]