ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

5 Quick Questions on Premiere Transition/Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Alexander5 Quick Questions on Premiere Transition/Workflow
by on Oct 16, 2015 at 8:28:29 pm

Hey guys, recently switched from Vegas to Premiere to edit music videos. I'm very used to a specific workflow in Vegas and trying to find alternatives or replacements that kind of rival that in Premiere.

AUTO-TOGGLE?
1. You have to manually toggle a video track for cutting and editing on by clicking the toggle area on the left side of the track. Is there a shortcut to automatically toggle a particular track by clicking on the track or a clip on that track? Or maybe a keyboard shortcut to toggle where your cursor is?

CLIP INSERTS
2. When inserting a clip into your sequence, you can only choose between overwrite insert (replaces existing frames there) or a shift insert (shifts existing frames over like a ripple). Is there a way to insert a clip that just lays on top of the existing clip (without deleting what's underneath it) and when I move the top clip somewhere else, the bottom clip will stay in tact?

CLIP COLORS, LABELS
3. Is there a way to manually change the color of some of the clips on the timeline of your sequence? When I just drop in regular files they are all blue, nests are green, adjustments are pink etc. What I want to do is change some of my regular blue clips to a different color which allows me to visually group like scenes in an area of the sequence. Or maybe a way to show the label colors of a clip on the timeline that I have set in the Project Bins for it?

BIN EFFECTS?
4. Is there a way to apply an effect to a bin so that it effects all of the clips within the bin. Then when I update that effect, it also updates all of the clips in the bin? Adjustment layers don't work well for my editing style.

PANCAKE SYNC?
5. I use the "pancake timeline" method. (seen here) I have my bottom timeline full of all the "selects" or good takes from different scenes. I select the best ones and compile those in my "master" timeline up top. In each timeline, the takes are synched up to a copy of the song for the music video (obviously). Is there a way to sync the playhead/cursor between the two timelines for a quick drag and drop? For example, in my "selects" if I really like the shot that shows up at 1:33, is there a way to sync the timelines so that when I put my cursor on that clip in my "selects", my cursor will also be at 1:33 in my "master" timeline and I can drag and drop it into my master at 1:33? Instead of having to manually find the 1:33 spot and pasting?

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: 5 Quick Questions on Premiere Transition/Workflow
by on Oct 18, 2015 at 2:05:49 pm

[Roger Alexander] "AUTO-TOGGLE?
1. You have to manually toggle a video track for cutting and editing on by clicking the toggle area on the left side of the track. Is there a shortcut to automatically toggle a particular track by clicking on the track or a clip on that track? Or maybe a keyboard shortcut to toggle where your cursor is?"

This is called targeting in Keyboard short cuts. Search "Target" there.

[Roger Alexander] "CLIP INSERTS
2. When inserting a clip into your sequence, you can only choose between overwrite insert (replaces existing frames there) or a shift insert (shifts existing frames over like a ripple). Is there a way to insert a clip that just lays on top of the existing clip (without deleting what's underneath it) and when I move the top clip somewhere else, the bottom clip will stay in tact"

nope, there is no same track, nondestructive overwrite like you find in Vegas

[Roger Alexander] "CLIP COLORS, LABELS
3. Is there a way to manually change the color of some of the clips on the timeline of your sequence? When I just drop in regular files they are all blue, nests are green, adjustments are pink etc. What I want to do is change some of my regular blue clips to a different color which allows me to visually group like scenes in an area of the sequence. Or maybe a way to show the label colors of a clip on the timeline that I have set in the Project Bins for it?"

check you preferences, the behavior of label colors following changes in the bin can be toggled. It's probably off for you right now.

[Roger Alexander] "BIN EFFECTS?
4. Is there a way to apply an effect to a bin so that it effects all of the clips within the bin. Then when I update that effect, it also updates all of the clips in the bin? Adjustment layers don't work well for my editing style."

Effects can be applied as "master effects" to sources if u load them to the source viewer and then apply the effects to source viewer. but it has to be done one by one. you can apply to one, go to effects controls, copy it...and load onther and paste it...but you do that in btach. and they aren't linked together. changes made to one won't ripple to the others. You say you don't like adjusment layers. what are you trying to do? maybe nesting and working from the nests would be a good way to tackle it...

[Roger Alexander] "5. I use the "pancake timeline" method. (seen here) I have my bottom timeline full of all the "selects" or good takes from different scenes. I select the best ones and compile those in my "master" timeline up top. In each timeline, the takes are synched up to a copy of the song for the music video (obviously). Is there a way to sync the playhead/cursor between the two timelines for a quick drag and drop? For example, in my "selects" if I really like the shot that shows up at 1:33, is there a way to sync the timelines so that when I put my cursor on that clip in my "selects", my cursor will also be at 1:33 in my "master" timeline and I can drag and drop it into my master at 1:33? Instead of having to manually find the 1:33 spot and pasting?"

PPro has "Gang" function in which the source viewer and sequence can be made to stay in sync. so that can keep you in sync. In your editing (program) timeline, the first icon can be toggled so that when you are editing from a source sequence (loaded into the source viewer) it can edit it as a nest or it will retrieve the acutal underlying source clip in the nest. Depending on some other decisions you make above....you may want to toggle this one way or another.

Also consider a multicam setup for seeing all you sync takes together. This can be very useful for music video work.

Hope that helps....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Roger AlexanderRe: 5 Quick Questions on Premiere Transition/Workflow
by on Oct 26, 2015 at 2:13:28 pm

Thanks for taking the time to try and answer my questions Alex, I will look into those

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]