ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Multi-Cam Editing on 2008 Mac Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley JamesMulti-Cam Editing on 2008 Mac Pro
by on Oct 12, 2015 at 5:52:26 pm

I have a concert project coming up which has 7 cameras. I have PP CC15 on a 2013 MBP which I use every day to edit video with a couple of video tracks. I also have a 2008 8-core Mac Pro with 16 gbs of memory and aRAID 5 box but with stock video card. I'm wondering if its better to upgrade my MacPro with a new gfx card and more ram or should I upgrade to something that can handle the multiple video streams. Of course $$ is a factor.

Thanks

Ashley

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Multi-Cam Editing on 2008 Mac Pro
by on Oct 12, 2015 at 6:56:57 pm

Hi Ashley

Starting out with a proxy workflow MIGHT be peferable here to overall keep data rates low...

this would require proxies of your sources in your timleine...

but I think it might be worth it regardless of which way you go in terms of new gear...

I'll let others chime in on this...

but it would go something like this

sync your sources on you multicam set up time line...

then in that same timeline....

create proxies of those same clips...

in this way you will have better performance for your edit...

but then switch back to full res for final output...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: Multi-Cam Editing on 2008 Mac Pro
by on Oct 24, 2015 at 1:30:28 am

I have 32GB (4x 8GB) of 133DDR3 ECC memory sticks from my former 2008 MAC Pro 2,1. e-mail me if you want to purchase them. You can upgrade to 32GB DDR3 on the MAC Pro 2,1. Just make sure the sticks are all the same speed and capacity.

I would upgrade your graphics card to something like an INVIDIA GEforce GFX 660Ti which has either 2GB or 3GB of memory and over 1,000 CUDA cores. This card is going into my 2012, MAC Pro 5,1 tower next week. The more memory and CUDA cores you have to work with, the faster your processing, rendering, transcoding and such. The GTX 660Ti card is a balance of price, speed, CUDA cores and memory. Remember that you have to turn on Mercury Playback Engine Processor under Project/Settings/General tab.

Jon Frost
frostgfx@gmail.com
413-348-0591

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]