Importing and working with 120fps footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe GosselinImporting and working with 120fps footage
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 11:13:58 pm
Last Edited By Philippe Gosselin on Oct 7, 2015 at 11:14:22 pm

Hi all,

My step-by-step workflow so far.

1: We shot the footage with the new Samsung NX1 at a resoltion of 1080p 120fps.

2: Since this camera use the H.265 I had to re-encode all files in H.264 using the Rocky Mountain media converter. Now the converter somehow messed up the metadata because all the encoded files states that they are in 60fps even though I configured the converter to keep the framerate at 120.

Now I did a test and purposefully change the setting to re-encode at 59.94fps and once I do the properties of the file show that it is indeed in 59.94fps. That, and the fact the if I drop one of each test on the timeline and drop the speed to 15% the 60fps is clearly a LOT smoother than the 59.94fps one. So this leads me to believe that only the metadata is messed up but the file is actually in 120fps.

3: Imported all the footage and trimmed everything

4: Now I am ready to edit and I started to play around with slow motion and somehow they are what expected, considering the 120fps I was expecting buttery smooth motion when dropping the speed between 50% to 20% but it is not the case

5: Started googling for solution and somehow ended up on a page that suggested setting the interpretation of the footage to 120 while keeping the project setting at 60fps.

Now once I do interpret the footage to 120 three things happens:
A) NOW the footage is hyper realistically butter smooth
But
B) My In & Out points for that file are completely messed up
C) The duration of the file (in the interpret tab) states that it is 02:37 and when I set the framerate to 120 it changes the duration to 01:18. YET, the file does not play slower or faster ???

Considering B, would you suggest me to restart my project and this time interpret the footage form the get go or is there a work around somehow?

As for C, what am I missing cause I just don't get it could be so.

Thanks for your input

Phil

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Importing and working with 120fps footage
by on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:36:43 am

[Philippe Gosselin] " Now the converter somehow messed up the metadata"

There's a chance that the camera shoots the 120 fps to run in a 59,94 container.

[Philippe Gosselin] "B) My In & Out points for that file are completely messed up"

Well... yeah if you've already cut the stuff on a timeline and change its timecode of course the edit point will change. That's why you do any footage interpreting before you edit.

[Philippe Gosselin] "C) The duration of the file (in the interpret tab) states that it is 02:37 and when I set the framerate to 120 it changes the duration to 01:18. YET, the file does not play slower or faster ???"

If you interpret the footage to run double the speed it'll halve the duration and vice versa. I don't have the file so I can't make any deeper analysis on that.

Return to posts index

Philippe GosselinRe: Importing and working with 120fps footage
by on Oct 8, 2015 at 5:49:33 pm

I will upload original and transcoded files later on today.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Philippe GosselinRe: Importing and working with 120fps footage
by on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:54:06 am

Here is a file, the original taken from the NX1 camera and the re-encoded one. Both should be at 120fps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ucjrg405tghwvb/Recoded.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97958mqqiwip9mt/Original.MP4?dl=0

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]