ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe Media Encoder 2015 slower than 2014

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff FeazAdobe Media Encoder 2015 slower than 2014
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 5:12:43 pm

Hello friends! I seem to be having an issue transcoding RED 4k to 422 in Media Encoder 2015.

Every time I get a project from a particular client, I have to transcode the dailies from RED to ProRes 422 1080p for editing and final delivery. There's about 120 minutes of total footage. I usually do some scaling in Premiere before transcoding, so I'm rendering from a Premiere timeline.

With Premiere and AME 2014, this entire transcode job would take about 9 hours. With 2015, it takes 36 hours.

Curiously, with 2015, it seems to be rendering in the "background" and I can still use my system normally without much lag. With 2014, my computer was basically unusable while it was rendering. So it seems like 2015 is somehow not taking advantage of CPU bandwidth or available RAM (RAM settings are the same - 26GB available for Adobe apps). Activity Monitor shows Media Encoder only taking about 8GB RAM, but over 400% CPU (not sure what that spec was for 2014)

The apps are on the system drive, the project file is on the system drive, and the source footage is on various USB3 non-self-powered externals. All this was true for both versions of PP/AME. I've tried rendering the destination file to the system drive, which didn't make a difference.

Specs:

iMac i7 3.4GHz
10.10.2 (Yosemite)
32GB RAM / 2TB SSHD (6 GBit/s)
Radeon 6970M 2GB

If anyone is familiar with this issue an has an explanation, my life would be changed. Thanks for reading!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]