ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere pro cc 2015 - problem with the factory default transition dipping to black only with nested sequences

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew de JonghPremiere pro cc 2015 - problem with the factory default transition dipping to black only with nested sequences
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 2:52:46 am

Ok so maybe it's just me who woks this way...

On many projects I make separate sequences for each scene or subject if it's a doc

Then I have another sequence where I import the individual sequences

I've never had a problem before today, today I played back my new master sequence and the transitions between each of the separate sequences on the main sequence is doing a dip to black instead of the default transition which is a simple cross dissolve

I have cross dissolve for all of the transitions in the individual sequences and they all work fine, but the top level sequence refuses to do anything but dips to black

Has anyone run into this?

Matthew

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Premiere pro cc 2015 - problem with the factory default transition dipping to black only with nested sequences
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:04:34 pm

Is that just some black at the head and / or tail of your nested sequences?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

matthew de JonghRe: Premiere pro cc 2015 - problem with the factory default transition dipping to black only with nested sequences
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:32:10 pm

Thank you for the help!

So I went and checked, the first frame of second sequence is 100% black and the following frames fade from black to the next sequence

the head of the transition is fine, no black at all

Matthew

Return to posts index

Jeff FeazRe: Premiere pro cc 2015 - problem with the factory default transition dipping to black only with nested sequences
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 7:04:05 pm

Hey Matthew,

I'm not sure I can help explain why you didn't see this in earlier versions, because I thought it always worked this way, but when you cross dissolve between sequences, you're asking it to start playing a portion of Sequence 2 before Sequence 1 has finished playing. That portion of Sequence 2 has to come before the in point, so if you're starting Sequence 2 at the beginning, there's nothing but black for Premiere to pull for the cross dissolve. Same thing with ending.

One thing you can try (if your footage permits) is just lengthen Sequence 2 at the beginning with a few more frames of the first clip but drop it into your master sequence starting with the frame you originally planned for. That way there's some "back footage" for Sequence 2 to play during the cross dissolve while Sequence 1 is fading out. Similarly, lengthen Sequence 1 at the end so it has something to play during the dissolve.

This seems like it's only a problem when you're cross dissolving nested sequences because nested sequences are considered entire clips and won't dig back into the source footage to fill a cross dissolve.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

matthew de JonghRe: Premiere pro cc 2015 - problem with the factory default transition dipping to black only with nested sequences
by on Oct 3, 2015 at 12:39:52 pm

Thank you!

I'm away from home but tomorrow I'll try your suggestion, it sounds like the right way to go

I don't typically use transitions much in my day to day editing, I've started doing short videos for a realtor friend with tons of 3-5 second clips

It's a whole different style of editing for me

Matthew

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]