ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Beware of El Capitan!!!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth WeissBeware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 7:45:42 pm

DO NOT UPGRADE!!!

While your apps "might" open and work, there are MANY reported driver and plugin issues.

If you insist on forging ahead, you'd best clone your boot drive first, or you'll be sorry.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 7:50:37 pm

You remember the good ol' days when people just knew not to run out and upgrade their OS the second a new one was released?

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 8:18:40 pm

Yeah, even Adobe says not to upgrade. Used to be so obvious but if folks want to upgrade and "be first," have at it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 11:03:57 pm

First thing from Al Mooney at LACPUG..."Do not upgrade to El Capitan."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 11:26:56 pm

Where were you last night? I didn't see you. And, Al asked us not to quote him. :)

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 1, 2015 at 11:42:39 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Where were you last night? I didn't see you. And, Al asked us not to quote him. :)
"

From Al's lips to Twitters ears. My feed kinda blew up with "Al Mooney says don't upgrade!"

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:03:24 am

It was all over Facebook too as soon as Al said it..... He knows what he's doing. :)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 1:04:21 am

What Andrew said. I wasn't there...it was tweeted a half a dozen times.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad BusséRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 4:18:51 am

"Please, whatever you do, please do not quote me."
-Al

I moved back to LA a couple of years ago. Is LAFCPUG still strong? I should try and make it out to the next meeting.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2015 at 4:35:05 am

I just checked out the lacpug site and I'm really wishing I'd attended the meeting last night. I'm kicking myself for missing the presentation by Steve Kozak--did anyone happen to film it?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2015 at 5:19:19 am

Yep, it was taped like almost all the LACPUG events, with the exception of Randy Ubilos for some reason. It'll be up on the LACPUG YouTube channel in a few days.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2015 at 7:04:08 pm

Awesome, thanks David.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2015 at 5:22:25 am

Whether Al was serious or not, I didn't quote him intentionally when I stated this thread. :)

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Dan DeStefanoRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Oct 5, 2015 at 9:57:20 pm

Why should we be forced to keep from upgrading because Adobe failed to use the three month beta period to make sure their app would be stable? Not that it was stable on Yosemite. Really a shameful piece of software no matter the OS.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2015 at 10:30:43 pm

[Dan DeStefano] "Why should we be forced to keep from upgrading because Adobe failed to use the three month beta period to make sure their app would be stable? Not that it was stable on Yosemite. Really a shameful piece of software no matter the OS."

Completely and utterly idiotic statement. As if Adobe was the only company saying to not upgrade to the new OS. As if this was completely stopping you from working in the application.

It's completely stable across 6 systems at my offices in Yosemite running off a NAS. Also very stable on my home MacBook Air.

If you have something useful to add to the conversation, that's welcome, but statements like that above show completely and utter ignorance.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2015 at 10:43:08 pm

I'm running it on three different systems at the moment and on every single one, it crashes over and over again, giving me the "serious error" message, among others. Sometimes it just refuses to play at all, something that FCP never did. The CUDA drivers in conjunction with Premiere completely corrupt my graphics system-wide. On the other hand, After Effects runs beautifully, so stable.

I've clean installed the OS many many times to see if maybe there's a problem with my OS, and I keep having problems. How a program that is so established can still be so immensely buggy is beyond me. How they can sell a program to professionals, when it has serious crashes on the brand new iMac I run at work, my top-of-the-line iMac from three years ago at home, and the Mac Pro at my other job? Instead of fixing these issues, they're adding features like Morph Cut that benefit only a handful of users, but look good in the media when they release a new version. I'm at the end of my rope trying to troubleshoot and dealing with the constant crashes. It crashed trying to autosave once. AUTOSAVE.

I would love to hear what config your systems have, because I can see no reason that my system wouldn't be able to handle this program. I bitch because I don't think Adobe cares that they ship a buggy program. I use Thunderbolt-connected GDRIVES, I save to Dropbox, I close out all my other programs, and still I'm constantly having to stop my work and interrupt my flow, to address crashing issues. If this isn't a reason to speak out, I don't know what is.

Clean Install Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite
27-inch iMac (Late 2012)
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2048MB VRAM

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2015 at 10:41:04 pm

[Dan DeStefano] "Why should we be forced to keep from upgrading because Adobe failed to use the three month beta period to make sure their app would be stable?"

Because you want to get work done? Anyway, it's a Beta ( i.e. incomplete, a work in progress, code is still in flux) and not a Gold Master. A better question is, why doesn't Apple work closely with 3rd parties like Adobe and Avid anymore so the 3rd parties can have updates available as soon as Apple drops a new OS?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2015 at 10:44:28 pm

That is a better question, isn't it? I often wonder if the app is to blame or Apple. For instance, OpenGL was never anywhere near as good as DirectX, so I'm excited to see what they can do with Metal.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2015 at 11:15:12 pm

FWIW I'm running CC2014 on an '09 MP with a GTX 680 GPU as well as a late 2011 MBP and it's never crashed on me anymore than Avid or the old FCP. I haven't upgraded to CC2015 because I haven't hit a good stopping point yet on my work.

With regards to CUDA and the GPU, from what I've been able to piece together it's a driver issue and Nvidia is supposedly working on a fix. A frequent poster here (David Roth Weiss) has had good luck with solving GPU-centric problems by doing a completely clean install of the OS and all apps. Others have said they fixed the problems by using an older version of CUDA (I don't remember the exact build number but if you search the COW I'm sure you could find it).

From what I've read, Apple is only supporting an old version of OpenCL from 2011 (the newest version is from earlier this year). Presumably so that there will be more of an incentive to use Metal which is proprietary to Apple.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2015 at 12:58:55 am

I've been running with zero issues for weeks...

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Brian CooneyRe: Beware of El Capitan!!!
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 2:40:10 pm

David, how is Yosemite and cuda and ppro working these days? I'm still on Mavericks but with all the updates lately wondering if I should be moving to Yosemite at least. thanks.

Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist with MotionFoundry, Inc., Nashville, TN. Former Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]