ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

DVD authoring: where to do it these days?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberryDVD authoring: where to do it these days?
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 4:58:29 pm

Fellow dudes and dudettes...that is the question above. I'm on Mac Mavericks, and used to reboot to a Mountain Lion drive to access DVD-SP and the occasional jaunt back into FCP to convert a project for PP...but now upgrading my computer to a USB 3 card has changed my rebooting into ML (Macky don't like it, but i'm finding workarounds).

Anyway, it's time to find a DVD authoring program for Mavericks, and i'm looking at something apparently simple like even Toast 14. Any thoughts on that one? Any other ideas?

Yes, we all know DVDs are going away, but they're not gone yet and clients still want them, so gotta burn 'em somewhere.

Anyway, your thoughts when you get a chance. Thanks.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

tad newberryRe: DVD authoring: where to do it these days?
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 5:04:57 pm

Ah yes...and so fun to read the reviews online about Toast 14 - people simply making jokes about the existence of DVDs in general. I'm surprised some people have the time to waste to write such things (as i have done here as well). Ha!

:-)

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: DVD authoring: where to do it these days?
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:12:50 pm

We use Adobe Encore for all our DVDs. In fact we just did a run of 300 a few weeks ago and doing another run next week.

A pain in the rear to find in the Creative Cloud, but you have to download Premiere Pro CS6. That will download Encore CS6 with it. Then you can uninstall PPro CS6 and just keep Encore. Encore works just fine here on OS X Yosemite on Mac.

In Creative Cloud, click on Previous Version Drop down (next to Video) and then you'll see in blue at the bottom of that window "View Previous Versions" Click that View Previous Versions.

It looks like not much happens, but now you have access all the way back to CS6. Click the dropdown next to Premiere Pro. You'll see you now have options to download the earlier versions. Download CS6 which will bring Encore with it. Adobe has never separated the Encore installer.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Post removed by author on Oct 2, 2015 at 7:27:41 pm.

by on Oct 2, 2015 at 7:29:47 pm

Thanks, Walter. I've got it installed, went through the first tutorial, and now see that my library of templates is completely blank. Have now downloaded the content via the link and hope to have this all dialed in shortly.

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: DVD authoring: where to do it these days?
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 7:53:09 pm

Hey Tad,

Might I make a recommendation?

I have ceased to deliver DVDs completely (unless pressured otherwise of course), instead giving my clients inexpensive thumb drives, which you can buy all over these days for almost nothing. You can even get them in bulk with your company name or your personal contact info printed on them.

If you do the math, the cost is substantially less than whatever your labor charge might be for DVD creation, and you're giving your clients far more convenience and better quality for their money.

I deliver the client's master, a download web version, a web streaming version, and YouTube or Vimeo embed links if they need that. My clients were at first concerned, but now they love it...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2015 at 8:51:27 pm

Walter and David,

Those are great ideas, and i will be moving more in that direction. The project at hand right now is yet another funeral for some very close friends. Most of them know what to do with a DVD, but not so much all of the other ones.

For my commercial clients, though, i will be getting away from DVDs.

I just finished my first project (this funeral) on Encore today and really like...even better than DVD-SP already. I also like that it looks like it will do Blu-Ray authoring and flash as well. Very cool beans and nice to have finally made the jump today.

You guys are great!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: DVD authoring: where to do it these days?
by on Oct 6, 2015 at 8:57:58 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Oct 6, 2015 at 8:58:53 pm

Tad, did you have issues running DVDSP in Mavericks?

It works in both Mavericks & Yosemite last I checked.

I still use DVDSP for all DVD work and use Encore with BluStreak Tracer for Blu-Ray.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2015 at 1:53:52 am

Hi Chris,

i never did try DVDSP in Mavericks as it would've meant either installing all of FCS on that drive, or at least just DVDSP and just didn't even do after all that i had read about it not working, so i did get Encore installed, did the first few tutuorials and love it already. I can do a BluRay or DVD right in the same software, which is super cool. That is good to hear that you have it working on your Mavericks though.

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2015 at 2:01:24 am

David,

i'll give this route a shot. i also just authored my first BluRay disc with Encore and love how easy it was. For this funeral project, i've offered my client/friend the option of DVD or BluRay (she didn't know HD can't even show on DVD), so we'll see how many of those i end up making.

as for the thumb drive option, i'll try that, too. i have a 32 GB flash/thumb drive that i just dragged the BluRay folders to, though that didn't make the program playable, so will look into it further to see how to make it play from the drive. thanks for the ideas!

;-)

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: DVD authoring: where to do it these days?
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 2:13:40 am

I just give my clients the master, a very high quality h.264, and an emailable version. The h.264 version can play off the thumb drive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2015 at 2:33:49 am

Ah, yes. I was just hoping to give them a "DVD-like" experience with menus, etc. But just the movie file alone would be good, too.

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: DVD authoring: where to do it these days?
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 11:01:22 am

You can export the Encore project as a flash website and copy that to a usb stick or whatever. It has all the menus and stuff as a DVD or a Blu Ray would have.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]