ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

color gamut in Premiere Pro vs. Mac Finder/Quicktime/YouTube/Facebook...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Taplincolor gamut in Premiere Pro vs. Mac Finder/Quicktime/YouTube/Facebook...
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 5:37:48 am

Hi! I'm just now getting back into video seriously after a 6 year hiatus. I have Premiere Pro CC 2015 running on a 2008 Mac Pro (with the best video card of the time), OS X Yosemite, Apple 30" display. I am confronting the issue that the colors of my video look different in PP than they do anywhere else. In PP they look well saturated and natural, but everywhere else they look desaturated and brighter. On my computer for photography work images look the same in Photoshop and Lightroom as they do anywhere else. Is this color issue with PP something I should recalibrate my monitor to address? Is this a simple fix or something very complicated? The calibration settings I have had my monitor set to for years have served me very well for my photography work.

Best!
Nicholas

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: color gamut in Premiere Pro vs. Mac Finder/Quicktime/YouTube/Facebook...
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 6:04:52 am

Quicktime player is terrible at showing accurate colours. Also Youtube and Facebook do their own compression stuff to the footage so there might be some deviation.

Return to posts index

Nicholas TaplinRe: color gamut in Premiere Pro vs. Mac Finder/Quicktime/YouTube/Facebook...
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 8:06:47 am

What I've seen is that for my needs the video looks basically the same (colorwise) playing out of the Mac Finder, Quicktime, You Tube, and Facebook, and I'm guessing any other program. My issue is how to get Premiere Pro to represent colors like everything else.

Best,
Nicholas

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: color gamut in Premiere Pro vs. Mac Finder/Quicktime/YouTube/Facebook...
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:50:07 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/969680#969680

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: color gamut in Premiere Pro vs. Mac Finder/Quicktime/YouTube/Facebook...
by on Sep 30, 2015 at 1:59:26 am

This is an old problem...and it's QuickTime/Mac related.

Gamma is actually interpreted incorrectly on H264 and in some cases, ProRes.

Apple knows about it. They've had in excess of a decade to fix it if they were going to.

Premiere Pro bypasses QuickTime and uses its own decoders...and therefore the gamma is not interpreted by QuickTime.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Jan JanowskiRe: color gamut in Premiere Pro vs. Mac Finder/Quicktime/YouTube/Facebook...
by on Sep 30, 2015 at 5:21:00 pm

Years ago, maybe 2004 or so, at a MAC Factory Demonstration, I pointed this out to them in the middle of their demo, in front of ABC folks with me, and of course, the MAC Factory folks indicated that they never heard of that before!!!
Accompanying me that day were multiple screen captures of Waveform and Vector displays, showing the error in all it's glory!

They (Mac Folk), in front of the ABC management people behind me, took my ABC email address, and multiple copies of the documentation I provided....

And Guss what????

We (I or ABC) never heard from them again---except once 6 months later when I contacted them asking what the status of a patch for this issue..... And was told "It's still in the works"...
Next time I email'd them, all the email addresses bounced.

I retired from ABC at the end of June of 2015, and I NEVER received an answer or patch...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]