ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

A low level exception occured in: Importer MPEG (Importer)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julius MillerA low level exception occured in: Importer MPEG (Importer)
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:47:31 am

Hi there

I am getting this error all to frequently "A low level exception occurred in: Importer MPEG (Importer)".

It comes up a few times then Premier freezes and I have to force quit and start again.

I have seen the suggestion on another forum to change the render codec from i-Frame to something else (quicktime ProRes for instance).

Why should we need to do this? Doesn't Premiere create the 'best' sequence preset for you when you dump footage onto it? I thought that was the whole idea? If not should i make a 'custom' sequence setting for editing?

Is this the only/best way to fix this error?

I am editing XDCAM EX footage. Not converted just straight off camera imported into project.

Any suggestions welcome.

System

Mac Pro 5.1
32 gig ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: A low level exception occured in: Importer MPEG (Importer)
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:58:22 am

ProRes preview renders will create some LARGE temporary data files...and the importer isn't what renders the previews...it would most likely apply to the decoding of the camera footage.

Have you tried a reinstall of the application? Checked if there are updates?

Etc...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Julius MillerRe: A low level exception occured in: Importer MPEG (Importer)
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 5:53:23 am

Thanks for the reply.

Program is up to date. Latest 2015 CC version.

I have not tried a reinstall but the version I have was only installed quite recently.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: A low level exception occured in: Importer MPEG (Importer)
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:06:23 pm

Are you using the media browser to import your clips directly off the camera cards? Or are you importing through the Project Bin? You can make your render codec match the XDCAM EX clips to get faster previews and exports then leaving it set to I-Frame.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2015 at 8:40:16 pm

Thanks for the reply

I have been importing straight from the Project Bin (Import->then choose the folder containing all the clips etc)

Should I be doing it through the Media Browser? I did not think it made a difference other than seeing a 'preview' etc in the Media Browser?

Should i be setting up 'Custom' render settings as you mention? If so what is the best way to do this? Like I said I thought Premiere took care of this stuff in the 'background' when you created a sequence from a clip and created the 'optimal' settings for you...

Thanks again

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2015 at 10:46:56 pm

When dealing with camera card media, I use the media browser all the time. It is a sure fire way that Premiere understands your media and imports it correctly. For XDCAM EX footage, start out with new sequence item and match your XDCAM EX preset to your footage, set your video previews to match your codec and frame size, then save a custom preset so you can recall it ever time you use XDCAM EX footage. Sometimes the new sequence item icon creates the correct settings, sometimes it doesn't. That is why you should create one that matches your footage so you know it is correct.

Andy

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:11:14 am

Thanks Andy

I will try this from now on and see how it goes.

I did just do a quick test project:

Created sequence with XDCAM EX as preview codec etc.

Imported XDCAM EX footage through Media Browser (35sec clip)

Dropped into Sequence (yellow render bar above)

Selected Render in to out - render took about 35 secs.

Is this normal? If all is the same (footage/sequence/preview settings) why does it need to render?

Thanks

Julius

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2015 at 8:29:28 pm

Experiment with render codec to make sure you are matching the exact frame size and codec. XDCAM EX has 2 choices in the codec area depending on PAL or NTSC.

Yellow line just means it doesn't have a preview file associated with the files. You can read up more on the differences of red, yellow green line here: (http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html)

XDCAM is a long GOP codec and can be a little heavier to get exports done fast. Depending on your CPU / GPU combination you will get faster exports with better hardware. 35 secs for 35 sec of footage is 1:1, so not bad. If you render your sequence and choose export with previews, you should see faster export times.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]