ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Looking for a way to place files combined with network disk without the need for linking files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simen KarlstaLooking for a way to place files combined with network disk without the need for linking files
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 6:32:11 pm

Hi!

I'm currently editing files on a workplace computer that has a network disk with unlimited storage as the main backup solution.

We're mostly shooting seminars and long presentations, so the filesize and amount of data is quite large.

Our main problem has been that as a part of the work-computers, they are mainly used for documents, and small files.

We've been using the network disk as our main data source when working with files (because they are available at all the computers that way, and the local harddrives on the computers are just around 150GB). The speed of the network disk is about 15mb/s so its quite the pain in the a** working with it.

I'm therefore looking for a way to move an entire project from the network disk to a local external hard-drive(USB3) without the need for linking the files again when opening Premiere.

That way we can move active projects down to the external hard-drive and when we're finished, we can move the entire project (in one folder) to the network-disk (which is continously backed up several times) during the night and use it as a storage library.

Hope you guys have some tips.

Sincerely
Simen

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Looking for a way to place files combined with network disk without the need for linking files
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 8:42:48 pm

The closest I can think of would be something like "Render and replace" as this would let you render used elements used to your local storage, but revert back to the network source at any point.

The problem with this is it's not a great way to "start" a project.
It kind of assumes that you are have a timeline built already.

Also Project manager could kind of do this as well...because it would let you copy material to your local drive and handle the relinking to local copies.....BUT it wouldn't retain any link to the network original....

so this wouldn't be bad for working local....but it might be bad if your files on the network weren't pretty well organized if you want to link back to those at the end or don't want replicate media unnecessarily...

what you are asking is to be able to switch link your clip to multiple locations...I'm not sure how easy this is...

still thinking about this one...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]