ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

mono plays as stereo

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronny Nuyensmono plays as stereo
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 9:31:25 am

Hi, I have a clip recorded with 2 different mics, but channel 1 and channel 2 both play in stereo, so when I delete one channel, I still have stereo instead of mono, I really can't figure this out... Does Premiere automatically turn a mono signal into stereo when it's imported? Tnx

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: mono plays as stereo
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 3:43:15 pm

It depends on how the audio is set to ingest in your preferences.

You can set incoming 2 track audio to be stereo, dual mono...dual stereo...etc.

Now...if it is set to dual mono, then the question is whether you mean that a mono clip set in a stereo sequence is still playing across both L-R in the master levels...which would be a matter of panning the audio in the sequence as it's likely defaulting to pan-center.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Ronny NuyensRe: mono plays as stereo
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 7:18:52 pm

Hey Tim, thank you for your response. So by default, even a mono clip plays on both channels? I find this so difficult to grasp, I looked up some tutorials, but they even make me more confused :-/

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: mono plays as stereo
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 9:09:32 pm

Well...if you do indeed have a stereo sequence...

The default for a mono clip would be to pan-center, so it would show up on both sides. However, the clip could be panned left or right by either performing that adjustment on the clip, or by panning that track right or left in the mixer.

If you have the audio settings in your preferences set to bring in 2 track camera footage as dual-mono, then both would default to pan-center as they really aren't a 'stereo' pair anymore...they're distinct mono tracks...and they both default to pan-center, therefore both tracks are playing on both stereo channels.

Does that help?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Ronny NuyensRe: mono plays as stereo
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 6:55:33 pm

Actually, if you look at it that way, it kind of makes sense. Tnx again Tim!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]