ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Avrïl JacobsonAdobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:08:59 pm

Up until about an hour ago, Premiere Pro CC was running just fine. I've been using it full-time for a few months now to edit a feature. About an hour ago, I started getting a spinning wheel anytime I try to do anything (open a new sequence, move to a different part of a timeline, playback, etc.) The spinning wheel lasts 1 to 5 seconds before it performs whatever action I initiated. This glitch started on the same sequence that I've been working with for a day, and occurs across every other sequence that I test (including ones that have been working just fine for months). Needless to say, this is really killing my productivity!

Has anyone else had this issue or have a suggestion for how to fix with it? So far, I've tried:
-re-starting both the program alone and the whole system
-updating to the latest CC version (I think it just came out today)
-closing down Premiere, force quitting all individual CC processes and re-starting

I'm running a 6-Core 3.5GHz Mac Pro with 12GB memory. AMD FirePro D500 3072MB.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Adobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:23:32 pm

There is another post here somewhere about how you have to manually empty the temp folder that Premiere Pro and After Effects dump all their temporary files to. It's not "emptying cache" as found in the preferences dialog box. You have to go to the temp folder and empty it manually. That supposedly will speed things up a bit. Try that. I think it's in C:\Users\"Your Name"\App Data\local\temp.

Return to posts index

Avrïl JacobsonRe: Adobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 6:49:17 pm

Thanks, Duke. I looked up the thread you mentioned and I'm having trouble finding the equivalent temp folder on a Mac. (I believe that thread refers to a PC file structure.)

I deleted my cache just in case - both through Adobe and manually - but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. The temp folder theory makes sense to me, because I exported several OMFs yesterday, which i believe would have generated temp data?

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IVRe: Adobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 6:34:00 pm

Check all the hard drives that Premiere might be accessing. If one of them is getting full, even with 10GB remaining, that will slow everything down.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2015 at 6:51:04 pm

Thanks, Joe. I have 760GB out of 4TB free on the external project drive and 200GB out of 250GB free on the start-up drive, so this isn't the issue.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Adobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 7:35:33 pm

According to Google a Mac doesn't have a temp folder, but if you google "where is the temp folder on a mac" or "where does Premiere Pro store temp files on a Mac" you'll find how to empty your computer of temp files.

Return to posts index

Chris ScalzoRe: Adobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 8:52:20 pm

It would be in the /home directory/library/application support/Adobe/common/media cache (and also media cache files). You can get to the home library by holding option key while browsing the go menu in finder (library will be there in the list.

Note: this is also where after effects will cache by default.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Adobe Premiere Pro CC suddenly running very very slowly
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 9:15:25 pm

If this just started, I'd first backtrack and try to figure out what changed before the slowdown. A certain piece of media imported? A new background process started?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2015 at 5:10:26 pm

I think the problem is as solved as it can be for now. I'll share the steps I took in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing:

1) I emptied the Mac equivalent of the Adobe temp folder. You can find it here: "Go" menu (in Finder) > Go to Folder... > /tmp. Deleting the contents of this did help somewhat, though it didn't speed up my system as much as I would have liked. (It got rid of the spinning wheel, but there was still a delay.)

2) My raw sound is in .wav format. I converted the audio for the sequence I was working on when the problem started to .aif format, and I noticed an immediate and significant improvement. I'm not sure how this explains why the problem began when it did, but it worked!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]