ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

New fully-loaded iMac, but...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurence BartoneNew fully-loaded iMac, but...
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 2:21:00 am

I'm running PPro 6 on my brand new iMac. 16 gigs, i7 on steroids, 4 gig memory, etc. I'm keeping my video clips on a SSD (USB 3) and for 1080, it's absolutely a realtime machine. I can run 4k clips in Preview no problem, even multiple clips (in 4k), but in PPro, 4k is doggy until I render it. In my trim window, it's too doggy to really use (only in 4k), though it'll play about 5 seconds smoothly. After that, it's choppy again. These are .mov files from my Phantom 3 Pro drone, shot in LOG, so they require some work, and the render is pretty damn quick (considering I'm using layers too). It's just the viewing... Any ideas what's the issue?

bartone.com

Return to posts index

Laurence BartoneRe: New fully-loaded iMac, but...
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 2:36:43 am

BTW, I've tried this on a built-in SSD drive with the exact same result. It seems like it comes off the drive ok for about 5 seconds. I'm happy to transcode - but don't know the best way to do that. Again, it's .mov files. Any help...

Thanks

bartone.com

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: New fully-loaded iMac, but...
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:38:19 am
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Sep 24, 2015 at 5:05:32 am

This is a very common theme here Lawrence - you're not the first to invest in a new computer, thinking you'd solved ALL of your performance issues well into the future, only to realize you'd neglected to understand that, without a beefy 8-drive RAID, you simply cannot playback 4K seamlessly.

While a single SSD drive may appear to generate blazing throughput that should be able to handle the task of seamless 4K throughput, the fact is, many SSD drives use "hidden data compression" and other tricks to generate faster data throughput, which simply does not generate the sustainable throughput required for 4K video playback without dropping frames.

Below is an excerpt from the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test manual that explains this...

Important note about Solid State Disk (SSD) speeds

Some models of SSD cannot save video data at the speed indicated by the manufacturer because the disk uses hidden data compression to reach these higher write speeds. This data compression technique can only save data at the manufacturer’s claimed speed when storing simple files or simple data, such as blank data. Video data includes video noise, and more random pixel data which does not compress much, so the true speed of the disk is seen.

Some SSD’s can have up to 50% lower write speed than the manufacturer’s claimed speed, so even though the disk specifications claim an SSD is fast enough to handle video, in reality the disk is not fast enough for real time video data capture. Hidden data compression mostly affects capture and often these disks can still be used for real time playback. (***FYI, BUT NOT IN THE CASE of 4K)

I'm prepping a Webinar on this very subject for Moviola Digital (THE SECRET SCIENCE OF VIDEO STORAGE IN A 4K WORLD), which will play for free on Oct. 6th. And, with the support of Iron Post Digital and G-Tech, I'll be offering awesome discounts for my friends on Creative Cow. If you contact me offline at drw@drwfilms dot com, I'll send you and any others here an invitation to the Webinar.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Laurence BartoneRe: New fully-loaded iMac, but...
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:50:48 am

David - I KNEW you were going to say that! ;-)
I'm not up for spending more at this time, so I'll likely stick with 1080 for now. It was just an experiment anyway - the Phantom 3 Pro does nice 4k...
I'd like to know, though, why the iMac will play the files with no problem in Preview, or just the Mac Finder window. No issue at all. Actually, I can play several 4k files at the same time with no problem.

If I have to transcode, I'll do that - can you recommend the best approach for that?

bartone.com

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: New fully-loaded iMac, but...
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 5:04:16 am

If you ever intend to online at 4K resolution, then transcode to Pro Res Proxie or LT at the same 4K pixel dimensions and frame rate of your original - that way you'll have no issues when you online later if you've repositioned or animated your video, or if you've created graphics.

Adobe Media Encoder would be the way to go... Test with a single file to setup and test your encode, then once you're sure it's right, do a batch encode and let it run overnight or over the weekend. Make certain you're directing it to a drive with tons of free space, cuz you'll be very unhappy if you return to find your batch transcode failed and has to be entirely redone.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]