ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Converting Entire Edit (Sequences & Clips) to ProRes

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garry JenkinsConverting Entire Edit (Sequences & Clips) to ProRes
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 11:00:01 am

Good Day everyone!

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I've had a quick browse but couldn't find a solution and am busy working on it at the moment.

I have an entire feature that has been edited by a previous editor that I've taken over, to tighten up and finalise everything, including audio. The problem is, it's all been edited natively in H.264 and my humble machine is struggling a bit...

So I'm considering converting everything - clips, sequences, the whole edit - to ProRes, and was wondering if there's an easy way to do this within Premiere Pro? Obviously this will take time and space but it'll help me find my flow in the long run. At the moment I assume I'll have to convert all the footage and then copy/re-import everything into a new project, but if anyone knows of a quicker way?

Cheers for your time,
Garry

Return to posts index

Garry JenkinsRe: Converting Entire Edit (Sequences & Clips) to ProRes
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 11:02:09 am

PS

I should probably also point out that everything's nested like an army of Russian dolls, so it's not as straightforward as copying a sequence, hiding the footage, then tricking it into finding the new ProRes files... ;)

Garry

Deep Cut Productions
http://www.deep-cut.co.uk

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Converting Entire Edit (Sequences & Clips) to ProRes
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 4:14:45 pm

Hi Garry,

I think what you want is "render and replace"

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/render-replace-effects-compositi...

this will give you a per clip flattened version in the codec you choose of your master.....but should still allow to switch back to the original source should you need to.

As always....I'd dupe the Project file and move forward in the copy....just in case you need a fallback position.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2015 at 11:16:26 am

Thanks Alex, that did help!

Coming from FCP7 I was expecting to need to convert the sequences too but PP seems to be handling everything smoothly - thanks for your help!

Garry

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2015 at 2:34:41 pm

Cool:

Coming from FCP,
This is a handy one too:

http://www.retooled.net/?p=832

cheers,

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2015 at 2:54:22 pm

Awesome,

Yes that makes sense - a lot less rendering than I´m used to!

Thanks again for the help.
Garry

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: Converting Entire Edit (Sequences & Clips) to ProRes
by on Sep 25, 2015 at 6:57:30 pm

I don't really understand the Adobe support text on "render and replace" or what it's for. Does nesting combine clips as "layers?"Does "flattening" mean converting a nest into a clip "without layers?"
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2015 at 7:52:35 am

For people like me who need to replace the clip for a reason - in this case my machine struggles a bit processing h.264 - you can render out all the effects etc. being used on it and then replace it with a more editing friendly (but just as high a quality) format.

It's also what happens automatically when you send a file over to, say, Audition so that you can work on it and then have that as a replacement in the timeline, but without losing the original.

There's a good video on nesting here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/premiere-pro-nesting-sequence-c... ...it's basically about being able to import whole sequences into other sequences as if they were a clip in themselves. Handy for large edits where you're working on/piecing together sections at a time.

Flattening - I'll let someone else answer that, I'm not sure technically what that is... ;)

Garry

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2015 at 10:33:28 am

hi...

Nesting = placing 1 more layers of one timeline into a sequence then using that as a clip in another sequence. All the sources of what you see in that "clip" (sequence) used in a sequence are still live, and require all the disk and processor power necessary to calculate the frames for playback. you can step into the nest (reopen the sequence) and make changes.

Flattening: if you have a NEST and you render and replace it, it becomes a new clip as a file written to the hard drive. in it's "flat state" you can't step into the nest...there is no nest...it's just a clip.

Adobe's render and replace gives the option of switching a source back from the flattened version to the unflattened state which might be a nest OR it might be the original unrendered media format of a single clip.

I use nests a lot with animation where you have several objects you want to move together....a 4 picture split is a classic example....scale and position the layers the way you want, so you can see everything...then nest them. now you can move the entire grouping with the single motion parameters in the sequenced clip in the timeline.

hth,

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2015 at 1:03:10 am

Thank you, Alex, I finally put together the association between multiple video or audio "tracks" and multiple "layers." I'm guessing that if a timeline has 3 video tracks and 6 audio tracks those are considered layers and they are flattened by nesting into 1 video track and one audio track? Not sure if this is true about the audio...is that flattened or combined down to 1 track?
I was a little confused because I had PP telling me I had to "nest" a single video clip before applying a motion stabilization effect. Seemed to work that way. Perhaps "render and replace" would remove the stabilization.
Much appreciate your help.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:21:17 pm

Well...

Nesting is soft and uncommitted to a file...
so you can step into a nest and get to the sources...

flattening, replaces the clip or nest with a new file....

flattening is just a single file...

so they are not exactly synonymous...

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2015 at 1:29:42 am

An experiment resulted in this:
Nesting combined two video tracks into one but did not combine audio tracks.
For another single clip, nesting did not combine the two linked audio mono tracks into one.
Nesting seems to be about video/picture only.

Now experimenting with "Multiple stereo assignments for tracks to multichannel masters" to see if I can use this to combine two linked mono tracks to a single stereo track.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]