ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Export for DVD stops after about half way

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil ListerExport for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 11:10:43 pm

We have a 2 hour documentary that we're trying to export for DVD. The system it's on, isn't really powerful enough for editing (a friend's system). The specs are...roughly:

AMD processor
8 Gigs of RAM
One HDD
and 4 external drives.

We're trying to output the file to an external drive.It gets about halfway and stops. It just won't encode the whole 2 hour doc. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Export for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 2:30:56 pm

How is the external drive formatted?

What is the file size when the export stops?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Phil ListerRe: Export for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 3:40:26 pm

Not sure, but it goes about halfway. The entire file size as indicated by the encoder is 7000MG. So I guess that would be roughly 3500MG when it gives out.

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Export for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 25, 2015 at 8:37:26 pm

If you are encoding to MPEG-2 for DVD, you realize that is far too large for DVD, right?

Unless you are able to write to dual layer DVD-9, that is.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2015 at 8:58:48 pm

No, Premiere stops during the encode FOR DVD, not while burning the disk!
All we're trying to do, is do the actual encode itself!
I thought that was rather clear on my part. Sorry, but I'm waiting like days here to get an answer I can use!

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Export for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 3:10:50 pm

Were are your temp files stored, is there enough room for them?

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2015 at 4:34:02 pm

The temp files are on a separate drive. Maybe this will help. The computer has one internal drive only. All others are external. The output file is being encoded on a external drive. The temp files are more than likely on an external drive as well. I'm not sure. I'm going there today. Hopefully I will find out more info.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Export for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 5:02:27 pm

Imo encoding should be done on an internal drive.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Export for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 6:08:31 pm

I think the most likely scenario is that you're running out of space someplace during the encode...most likely, Ann's point about the temp files is the first place to start.

For some long GOP encode targets, a very large, rendered file used to have to be created at the beginning of the process...this used to happen in Encore when running the final encode, I'm not certain how that may be handled running out of Premiere Pro in every version...

I'd make sure the system drive is as cleaned out as possible...clean out all the temp files...get rid of anything on there you don't need as the intermediate file for a two-hour edit is likely gigantic.

You could also try to export the project in segments and set it up in Encore to just play through each segment and continue on to the next one so that the encoding step takes smaller 'bites'...and therefore makes smaller temp files. It sounds like if you have room for half, you could create 4 segments and be set to go.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2015 at 6:49:51 pm

Thanks Tim and everyone who responded! One more question...would it be considered normal for a computer (off-the-shelf HP) to take over 54 hours to enocode for DVD onto a system drive?

This woman didn't know what she was buying when she got this computer. I have since told her she needs to upgrade to a better system! She's a "backyard" filmmaker who doesn't know anything technical at all. I was asking these questions on her behalf.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Export for DVD stops after about half way
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 7:08:48 pm

Keep in mind that low RAM means a LOT of disk caching/swapping...and a slow processor means a lot of SLOW caching/swapping. A low core count means slow decode/encode of source and target video files...not to mention internal transfer speeds...etc, etc.

So...yeah, a severely under-powered computer could possibly create unbelievable task dwell times as all these things don't just add to... they multiply the problem.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]