ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Color Correction

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natalie SchneiderColor Correction
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 3:27:57 pm

I don't have any experience with color correction at all, but recently I was given a clip that alternates between these two color schemes:

While they were using mouse the recording looks like:

While they were typing the recording looks like:

I'm wondering what tools I would use to go about fixing this issue, or if this is something beyond the scope of color correction.

I'm on CC 2015 and have the whole suite, running windows 10.

Return to posts index

Mike BuckhoutRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 4:14:04 pm

A subtle difference to be sure. How close do you want to get it? Could you crop down to just the text and black within that window and leave a still of the background and window frame to keep that part consistent? Then do a little brightness/contrast adjustment to get the text and black looking more similar.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 4:17:15 pm

if you could key off of one of the letters, you could use color picker to drive a gamma layer automatically or use sampleimage()
http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/obscuration.html

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 9:52:32 pm

I would turn them both to grey scale and then mask+overlay whatever I want to color to whatever color I want it to be.

Return to posts index

Natalie SchneiderRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:01:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if any of them work for me.

Running Premiere Pro CC 2015 (or CS6 if i say so)
On windows 10 with:
i7 2600k at 3.4 GHZ
GTX 560 ti
16gb 1333mhz ddr3
in a case
with a mouse and keyboard.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 8:06:00 pm

Is there more than one instance of each, or are there just one of each? In other words, part of the clip is like example one, then the rest of the clip is like example two, rather than going from one to two, then back to one, back to two, etc.

If there's only one instance of each you could split the clip right where the color changes, then open them in Speedgrade and use color match. Otherwise, the other options mentioned would probably be faster.

Return to posts index

Simon BillingtonRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 1:07:48 pm

You could even just create a basic rectangle mask, obscuring the outside content that you don't want to change, and possibly use something like a basic contrast and brightness filter, to get it closer.

Failing that, using the 3 way color and changing the highlights, to match.

It may need a bit more finessing, but I'm trying to think of straight forward solutions.

Return to posts index

Natalie SchneiderRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 6:01:24 pm

There are no sections of the video that do not change in color, however.

Running Premiere Pro CC 2015 (or CS6 if i say so)
On windows 10 with:
i7 2600k at 3.4 GHZ
GTX 560 ti
16gb 1333mhz ddr3
in a case
with a mouse and keyboard.

Return to posts index

Simon BillingtonRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 1:52:29 am

I meant using the 3 way to change the brightness of just the highlights, it might leave the rest of the colours relatively untouched, but it may not.

You may have to pull color key on just text and then adjust its highlights.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Color Correction
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 3:31:43 am
Last Edited By Ht Davis on Sep 27, 2015 at 3:58:08 am

This is typical screen gamma manipulation when moving between windows. It helps visually indicate where the user is working. Unfortunately, it really screws up any screen recordings. You could try a deflicker plug in on the track. You could try watching until you see the change, and stopping, then marking the frame where it changes and cutting at each change, then doing a match color in speed grade or in after effects. The last method...

I like the color match method in speed grade, it's fun when you know what you're doing. you can do the same in after effects. There are tutorials for both. Check them out.

Here's how I'd work it:
Duplicate your video file. you will have File 1 and file 2.
place both in your chosen color corrector, match a good shot of file one to a bad shot of file 2, and apply the change to file 2 completely, and render it out. This gives you file 3.

Place File 1 in your sequence on track 1. Place File 3 on track 2 at 0%opacity. You can do this with Clips like this: As you play through, where you see a change, stop and go back until you are at the frame of or just before the change and place a marker. Continue this through the whole thing. Now razor your file 3 into clips that match the markers, and clip your original file as well, dragging your file 3 into place where necessary on track 1. Select the first good clip, and copy. Select all and PASTE ATTRIBUTES only. Now all are at 100% opacity and you can roll back and forth to adjust a little.
You can use KeyFrames but they can be buggy and more difficult to adjust:
Start with the clips on tracks 1 and 2 like above, and set your opacity on track 2 with a keyframe at frame 0 with an opacity of 0%. and turn off playback of track 2 (they eyeball symbol should be off)
When you see the change, stop and framebyframe back until it changes back, then select the track 2 clip, place a key frame with opacity zero, move one frame forward, and place a keyframe at opacity 100. Play until you change again repeat, but reverse the values in track 2. Repeat this until you finish the entire clip, and turn on the eyeball symbol for track 2. Render a preview and check it, then export to your output file.

I recommend the first method. You can zoom in to each razor mark and roll the edit to adjust by a frame or two very easily, and it won't hurt the clips. It's faster to work with, but you'll need to color correct a file copy, which can be consuming. Try those tutorials. Start with speed grade shot match or match frame. With CC you can go right to it if you already have file 2 and file 1, then just use the LOOKS file in Premiere on track 2 with file 2 instead of rendering out file 3. This will cut out a step of processing, but remember, you will still have to have it perform the operation on the clip where it is used, so you'll want to check each one and make sure it has the effect applied after you paste attributes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]