ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Feature length project in PPro CC and preparation of the footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cedric PilardFeature length project in PPro CC and preparation of the footage
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 12:20:31 am

Hi,

I am about to start the editing process of a feature length documentary (with 20hrs+ of footage), shot with several different cameras: C100 mark ii in mp4, a canon 6D DSLR, Gopros...

I am a little bit concern about PPro's stability with all those formats, my computer's power... so here are a few questions before I even start the process:

what would be an ideal/best practices way to prepare the editing process:

1) Do I convert all the footage to prores 422?

2) I have a raid thunderbolt drive 4T with other project on it. Depending if I need to convert all the footage to prores I will have to buy another drive. Should I get another completely separate RAID drive for all the footage anyway, regardless of the space issue?

3) I have an imac mid 2011 that until now was doing ok with small project (up to 10min) but it is starting to lag a little when I stack a few HD video tracks, multicam... That concerns me as well for a longer project like this. (imac 3.4Ghz, 12G DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2G...)
Should I be concern and eventually upgrade?

4) and finally what would be the ideal way to organize the workflow ( footage on a separate drive, cache on startup disk? or all different external drives?)

Thank you for your help and for sharing your experience!

Ced

Return to posts index

Mike BuckhoutRe: Feature length project in PPro CC and preparation of the footage
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 1:59:09 pm

Transcoding to ProRes will make the load on your CPU lower, but you'll need more storage space as you've already noted. If budget allows, get a separate drive for the source footage, and one for scratch/render files. You have a backup too right?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Feature length project in PPro CC and preparation of the footage
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 4:20:05 pm

don't overlook proxy files as an alternative, very small and very fast.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Feature length project in PPro CC and preparation of the footage
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 6:32:51 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Sep 22, 2015 at 6:34:16 pm

To this day I have found ProRes transcoding in a Premiere workflow to be a complete
waste of time and storage space. Unless the rare occasion where audio sync
gets messed up...had that happen with some h.264 footage once. only way to
keep sync was transcoding to prores.

I know others disagree, but that's how I roll.

Just finished a 90 minute doc yesterday...4 different file formats, nearly 1tb in
source footage and graphics...all went without a hitch.

That's why I like that premiere will ingest everything AND the kitchen sink
without the need to transcode. Unless your editing 4k on a NON top of the line
system..offline editing or transcoding just doesn't make sense to my world.

Return to posts index

Laurence BartoneRe: Feature length project in PPro CC and preparation of the footage
by on Sep 24, 2015 at 2:41:19 am

OK, I'm editing 4k in a non-top-of-the line machine. Top iMac, actually, but 4k is choppy, and I'm happy to transcode - don't know the best way to do that though...

bartone.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]