ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John SherrillIs this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks
by on Sep 19, 2015 at 3:24:26 am

Mac Pro 8 Core Yosemite Adobe CS5 AutoCAD Final Cut Pro X so many more - $800
http://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_a65mUnFGjew_600x450.jpg
Mac Pro 3,1 A1186 Model
2 x Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.8 Ghz. = 8 Real Processors . . . OVER 11K Geekbench score !
640 GB Sata Hard Drive 7200 RPM
4 gigs of ram installed, upgradable to 64 Gigs of ram
Upgraded Graphics card; Apple NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, 512K Video Ram
2 internal DVD Slots, One DVD-DL burner installed, burns everything.
Two USB 2.0 Ports & 1 Firewire 400 and one Firewire 800 port located on the front of this machine.
4 USB ports, 2 Firewire ports, Digital in and Digital out audio ports & 2 Dual 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet ports for use as a server if needed
Apple Wireless Bluetooth for keyboards and mice

All the great software listed below are FULL versions NO demos.

AutoCAD, Professional 3/D Design Software
Final Cut Pro X 10 and Version 7, The Best Video production software available

Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 (Includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign and more !
Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 . . . which included the following applications;

Adobe Content Viewer
Adobe Widget Browser
Acrobat Distiller
Adobe Acrobat Pro
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Audition
Adobe Bridge
Adobe Contribute
Adobe Device Central
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Encore
Adobe Fireworks
Adobe Flash
Adobe Flash Builder
Adobe Flash Catalyst
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe InDesign
Adobe Media Encoder
Adobe OnLocation
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Story
Adobe Qadministrator
Adobe Qmaster

Filemaker Pro Advanced version 11 Best Database software
Microsoft Office 2011
Toast 11 Titanium
Apple iLife
Apple iWork
Adobe Lightroom 3

*** The software included would be great for Photography or Film / Video Editing, you would pay way more for the software than you will for this computer. Feel free to test drive this mac before you purchase.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Is this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks
by on Sep 19, 2015 at 4:31:48 am

The Mac is still very useful, I have one myself, however, the 2008 8-cores are very much available all over. It seems like you're enthused about all the software onboard, which is undoubtedly pirated, also available all over. I'd look for a better deal, on a later model Mac Pro, preferably with a fast Nvidia card inside. There are a lot around, because a lot of people bought into the Thunderbolt craze, trading in perfectly good hardware for newer stuff.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Is this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks
by on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:22:27 pm

Another thing to think about, in line with David's answer about the possibility of pirated software, is to ask the seller if he will transfer the licenses of the software to you. Here's the scoop on doing that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/transfer-product-license...

If the seller says no, or hems and haws, you can rest assured that the software is bogus, and you probably can't trust the seller for any other problems which might arise after the sale.

You'll probably want to spring for some additional RAM as well.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Is this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks
by on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:50:48 pm

Yes...ditto on the software cautionary note...

And...if you buy a machine like this, loading it with RAM will help extend it's useful life.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Is this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks
by on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:56:23 pm

FCP X can't even run on that machine. It requires at least a 1 gig card. The fact that they called a 512card an upgrade is suspect. Id be amazed if Yosemite even ran with 4 gigs of RAM as well. Adobe or FCP 7 too. So right there the whole post is suspect. RAM for these machines is expensive. You also can't transfer a license of FCP X. It's tied to your Apple ID. CS5 is nearing useless on Yosemite. Problems are starting to show. And if that machine even runs El Capitan the Adobe stuff will likely have even more issues if it runs at all.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Is this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks
by on Sep 19, 2015 at 9:06:54 pm

Besides what others have said, I'd stay way from the 2008 (ver 3,1) MacPros. I don't remember exactly what it was, but Apple tweaked some things under the hood starting with the 2009 Mac Pros (ver 4,1) that makes them more upgradeable (thus giving them longer working life potentially).

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: Is this considered a good buy or is the machine too old and slow for all this software? Thanks
by on Oct 24, 2015 at 1:52:19 am

I just bought a 2012 5,1 MAC Pro tower to replace the MAC Pro 2,1 I bought in 2008. Remember that you can't upgrade the MAC OS X on your prospective computer above 10.7.5...

I would max out the RAM on your machine to at least 32GB if not all the way to 64GB. Find the fastest DDR3 ECC memory you can.

I would look into one of the NVIDIA GTX graphics cards... They are all over Ebay and Craigslist for reasonable prices used. Remember that your prospective machine doesn't need the latest/greatest GPU card... I just bought a GTX 660Ti card for $100 on E-bay... for my 2012, MACPro 5,1 tower.

as far as the software is concerned, it has to be pirated or bootlegged and if you don't have the original packaging, disks, serial numbers, etc. you are screwed of something stops working... let alone being able to upgrade a software item if you don't have the original purchase info.

Good luck and Caveat Emptor...

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]