ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Has anyone edited a feature length doc with Premiere Pro? how did it hold up?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul FactoraHas anyone edited a feature length doc with Premiere Pro? how did it hold up?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 12:26:19 am

I'm starting on the post for a doc idea I've been shooting off & on for the past couple of years.

I'm an editor by trade and love editing on Premiere but am concerned about the stability when the massive amounts of media start rolling in.

Has anyone here accomplished a 80-90 min feature with Premier?

I have about 300 hrs of Media shot primarily from 5DMK2 & MK3.
About 1/3 of the footage was split up between a Cannon XA20, a Sony FS700, an interview on a C100 and one on a GH4. Oh and I have some Gopro footage too.

I have it all converted to ProRes422 HD on a 12TB OFW Thunderbay 5 RAID.

How was the media managment?

Pro's & Con's of Premiere vs FCP 7?

Any info is definitely appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Has anyone edited a feature length doc with Premiere Pro? how did it hold up?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 4:03:45 am

You'll be fine as long as you don't fill that RAID beyond 80% of its capacity. Transcoding to ProRes was a very good idea - once I saw that I had no problem giving you two thumbs up.

Good luck with the doco... Is it an oceanographic project?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nils WelterRe: Has anyone edited a feature length doc with Premiere Pro? how did it hold up?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 5:44:02 pm

We cut 120 to 150 minutes docs with mostly xdcamhd422 mxf footage on an xsan. No critical problems. Prores will let you experience better performance. Of course, the more footage you have the slower the project will open or save. In general it works the best on actual fast machines. Duplicate frame markers was a performance killer in previous versions. But I think adobe fixed this in cc2015.

Nils Welter
Adobe Certified Instructor - Premiere Pro

CBC Cologne Broadcasting Center
Cologne, Germany

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Has anyone edited a feature length doc with Premiere Pro? how did it hold up?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 5:54:00 pm

Multiple feature documentaries, multiple broadcast and web episodics. So long as you have fast media arrays, you'll be fine. We never transcode our media, we edit with everything natively except sometimes we'll transcode GoPro material.

The only thing you notice is the lag to actually open the project. It can take a while.

One trick we do use however, is when the picture is locked, we'll create a brand new empty project and import just the locked timeline forward into the new project. This way we can work on finish with the need to load up all 300 hours of media. We're only loading up the 90 minutes of media in the final timeline. Makes for a much easier finishing process of Color / Graphics / Mastering.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]