ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

MP4 to MOV, is it critical?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

John HecktMP4 to MOV, is it critical?
by on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:13:47 pm

Hey guys,

I have some video that my buddy shot, i think it was a cannon c300 that he shot with. Anyways, I'm editing on a Mac, using Premeire Pro, and need to use Adobe Media encoder just to access the video. After I ran the video batch through encoder, all the video came back as Mp4.

The rest of the video on my project in Premeire is in MOV. I am wondering what the ramifications are of having to different video file types in the same project. Anybody have any idea as to what I need to take into account when I export.

I'm not sure how to get the files from Mp4 to MOV, maybe there is a way to do this with the encoder. If I do need to convert, does anyone know how?

Thanks everyone
John

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: MP4 to MOV, is it critical?
by on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:18:11 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:20:03 pm

Hi John,

You can mix and match any formats in the timeline. I'll add that if you are just converting to edit, H.264 is not a recommended format, it's heavily compressed and hard on the processors. A better export would be Quicktime>Prores 422

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

John HecktRe: MP4 to MOV, is it critical?
by on Sep 15, 2015 at 9:05:36 pm

Thanks for the advice man.

At the studio a couple years ago, we were told that H264 is the go to. Has there been a recent shift among professionals away from H264? And if so, is the one you suggested the new preference?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: MP4 to MOV, is it critical?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 4:16:52 am

Hi John,

You final export should definitely be H.264, but you're talking about exporting for further editing at this point right?

That format should be close to uncompressed to maintain quality. Prores is a great intermediate codec for that.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]