ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Exporting to DVD format in highest possible quality

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex EyreExporting to DVD format in highest possible quality
by on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:50:09 am

Hi guys, I need some advice on exporting an HD sequence from premiere (45 mins) to a HQ DVD format. I understand it is going to have to be downscaled etc but have not done this before and need to retain as much quality as possible. I have been reading online that Adobe Media Encoder is not great at doing such, and loses quality of the footage.
Is there any particular media encoder you would recommend for this job, and what would be the preferred output from premiere in the first instance?.

I work on Mac.

All the best

Alex

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Exporting to DVD format in highest possible quality
by on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:59:40 pm

I would respectfully disagree that Media Encoder is not good for the job.

Here's the reality. DVD video is MPEG-2, which is a heavily compressed format. You are going from HD to SD - from 1920x1080 to 720x480. There's no getting around that. The key to getting decent results (for me) is two-pass rendering, and setting the bitrate high (but not too high).

With 45 minutes total on the disc, space is not an issue. I'd try a minimum bitrate of 4 or 5Mbits and a maximum of 7Mbits. Some folks may recommend a max bitrate of 8Mbits, and you can try that if you want. I have found some players struggle with higher bitrates, and not cheap brand players, either.

Theoretically the max bitrate for DVD is 10Mbits. But that leaves no room for audio, and I doubt it would play reliably.

I have prepped many assets for DVD authoring using Media Encoder and authored using Encore with great satisfaction in the results.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Exporting to DVD format in highest possible quality
by on Sep 14, 2015 at 3:14:57 pm

In addition to Jon's good advice, check the box for "Max Render Quality" as that is said to benefit the downscaling quality from HD to SD.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Alex EyreRe: Exporting to DVD format in highest possible quality
by on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:09:01 pm

Thanks very much :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]