ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Downsampling 2k (and 4k) to HD in a Premiere Timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug WeinerDownsampling 2k (and 4k) to HD in a Premiere Timeline
by on Sep 11, 2015 at 3:40:53 pm
Last Edited By Doug Weiner on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:40:11 pm

Situation:
My files are ProResHQ Quicktimes but are 4:3 film scans in 2k (2048x1536) or 4k (2880x2160). I need to add an 16:9 make and blow the files up slightly to erase the overscan during transfer (sprocket holes and frame lines). Also I need to add titles cards to the front and back. I am currently doing this all in an Adobe Premiere Timeline.

Question:
Is there one method listed below that delivers a superior master file or do they deliver about the same results?
Is there another method that I am missing?
Anything else I might be missing that can cause trouble?

1) Make a 2k or 4k Timeline in Premiere then down sample with Media Encoder. (Source and master files are all Apple ProresHQ) - all on a Mac.

2) Make an HD timeline in Premiere, and shrink down my footage via motion effect tab in the timeline, then simply export an HD file. (Source and master files are all Apple ProresHQ) - all on a Mac.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Downsampling 2k (and 4k) to HD in a Premiere Timeline
by on Sep 11, 2015 at 6:06:56 pm

It will be very hard to discern any difference in the above two methods.

However, you'll need to balance ease of editing (cutting HD) vs cutting a future-proofed 4K version, which will be harder on you and your computer, but will enable output of a 4K master, from which you'll be able to output any resolution you desire now or in perpetuity. Since perpetuity is a long, long time, I always tend to choose the very highest res possible for my masters.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Doug WeinerRe: Downsampling 2k (and 4k) to HD in a Premiere Timeline
by on Sep 11, 2015 at 6:09:57 pm

Thanks. I am keeping the 2k and 4k masters. We are archiving them to LTO until there is more demand for them as stock footage or as drives become large enough that we do not need 60 x 4 TB drives but can go with 30 x 8 TB drives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]