ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

I need to know which mac as well as which specs are best for editing efficiently (fast render time/less chance of stutter during play back etc)...What do the bigger post houses use?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan PierceI need to know which mac as well as which specs are best for editing efficiently (fast render time/less chance of stutter during play back etc)...What do the bigger post houses use?
by on Sep 8, 2015 at 10:49:18 pm

I edit 1080 and some 4k footage consistently. And need to know which mac as well as which specs are best for editing efficiently (fast render time/less chance of stutter during play back etc)...What do the bigger post houses use?

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: I need to know which mac as well as which specs are best for editing efficiently (fast render time/less chance of stutter during play back etc)...What do the bigger post houses use?
by on Oct 24, 2015 at 2:48:41 am
Last Edited By Jon Frost on Oct 24, 2015 at 2:53:49 am

If you want to build a new machine from the ground up , your money will go much farther with a PC over a MAC. The same rules apply for both platforms.

For a MACPro cylindrical system, get the most powerful processor your can afford and then stuff the case with all the DDR5 ECC memory you can afford. You will need an external PCIe 3 chassis in order to use the more popular GPU cards with the newest MACPro that tis the size of a coffee can. fortunately you can leverage the Thunderbolt I/O connectivity for both graphics and HDDs/RAID setups.

Processor (speed and number of cores)
RAM Memory (speed and capacity need to be matched) "More is always better..."
SSD for OS and APPS...
Separate HDDs or even a RAID Array for project media, clips, audio, sequences, etc. 7,200rpm drives. RAID 5 or RAID 10 on a four drive chassis. If you work on both platforms, format the drives as eFAT which will open on both PC and MAC.
Graphics card - If you can leverage your GPU to help with processor intensive tasks like rendering, exporting, etc. CUDA GPUs with at least 4GB of memory and the most CUDA cores you can afford here. e.g. NVIDIA Quadro 4000, GTX style cards that are approved by Adobe will offer the best performance and price. You don't need the latest and greatest here and there are some great buys online for used cards... Caveat Emptor.

Namaste,

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: I need to know which mac as well as which specs are best for editing efficiently (fast render time/less chance of stutter during play back etc)...What do the bigger post houses use?
by on Oct 24, 2015 at 8:31:54 pm

[Ryan Pierce] "I edit 1080 and some 4k footage consistently. And need to know which mac as well as which specs are best for editing efficiently (fast render time/less chance of stutter during play back etc)..."

What's your budget?

[Ryan Pierce] "What do the bigger post houses use?"

From what I've seen a lot of old Mac Pros and some are transitioning to nMPs if they are need an Apple-centric workflow, if not going the PC route seems to be on the up swing.

The current MP was released in 2013 so it's a really bad time to buy, IMO. No idea when a new version will come out (maybe this fall, maybe next fall, maybe 2017...) but it kinda sucks to be paying to dollar for a two year old machine.

[Jon Frost] "You will need an external PCIe 3 chassis in order to use the more popular GPU cards with the newest MACPro that tis the size of a coffee can. fortunately you can leverage the Thunderbolt I/O connectivity for both graphics and HDDs/RAID setups."

Thunderbolt 2 (which is what the black Mac Pros have) is only equivalent to 4x (maybe 8x, I can't remember) PCIe and a GPU normal goes in a 16x slot. While you can use an external case to hook up a GPU it is going to be severely bottlenecked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]