ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

DVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberryDVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)
by on Sep 4, 2015 at 12:22:03 am

i'm posting it here because it seems there is more chatter here and people tend to answer quicker...and it's SOMEWHAT related to PP 2015. ;-)

so, i've finished some shows (on PP), made DVDs in Apple's DVD-SP - as i have done for 6 season before this - but now when i make the DVDs, my client cannot play them on his PC...though he could always play the previous DVDs.

i burned the DVDs 2 different ways and got the same results:

1 - preferred method, on my Mac i drag the img file to Toast. Burn. Done. These discs play in my Mac, settop DVD player and settop BluRay player...but not in my XP PC. There it says Windows Media Player needs some other decoder.

2 - on my XP PC, i copy the TS folders over to it from the img file on my Mac via my network. I then burn DVDs through Primera's PTPublisher...which is the same method i always use to burn the multiple dubs.

Honestly, i haven't checked these DVDs on my PC in the past (since i hardly ever use my PC for anything anyway) and never heard any complaints from the client so figured everything was fine.

Any ideas?

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: DVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)
by on Sep 4, 2015 at 11:30:21 am

It helps to narrow down where the problem is coming from, you or him.

First question - Can your client still play previous DVD's from you? If so, then the most assuredly coming from your end. If not, then it's more than likely something going on with his machine.

If you determine the problem is yours, have you recently changed DVD brands? Did these particular DVD's come from a different batch?

When you say that you client cannot play them, is he also getting the "Windows Media Player needs some other decoder" error?

Has he tried an alternate player, like VLC?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: DVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)
by on Sep 4, 2015 at 1:08:41 pm

In your in-house test you indicated you are going as far back as WinXP. Windows Media Player at that time did not play DVD's natively.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

tad newberryRe: DVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)
by on Sep 4, 2015 at 9:00:34 pm

XP is the only Windows OS i've ever had in this place. i'm a Mac guy but keep the XP machine around for a few things: Quicken and DVD dubs on my Primera dubber...

my client also only uses XP. he can't play the new ones, but he can play the old ones. i'm totally stumped, since i'm making the DVDs the same way i always have. i suppose it COULD BE the brand/stock of blank DVD media. could that really be the case in that they play everywhere else (Mac, DVD player, BluRay player) and just not on a PC?

i don't know what else to try.

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: DVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)
by on Sep 5, 2015 at 11:33:38 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 5, 2015 at 11:40:46 am

dvd-r is used by all. dvd+r came later and really old dvd players can't read it.
also, make sure your bitrate isn't too high. higher than 9mpbs and some players crash.

Return to posts index

tad newberryRe: DVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)
by on Sep 5, 2015 at 4:53:39 pm

thanks, but the only problem here is reading them on a PC with XP. . . and having said that, i haven't tried it on a PC with any newer OS (don't have any in the house). i doubt it's bit rate...same as before, and hard to tell if these are -R or +R, but i've only been buying -R in bulk from SuperMediaStore (JVC Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R). i'm really stumped.

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: DVDs not playing on PCs? (i know this is not the best forum for this, but starting here)
by on Sep 5, 2015 at 12:02:49 pm

All this has just reminded me that I have a duplicating tower sitting here that needs to be sold.

But yes, back when we were 'mass-producing'(500-1000 discs) DVD's for clients, we soon discovered that certain brands, and yes, definitely the DVD-R vs DVD+R battle could affect playback. We actually constructed a waiver that if the client opted for duplication over replication we could not guarantee playback on all devices.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2015 at 7:28:21 pm
Last Edited By Steve Brame on Sep 5, 2015 at 9:16:24 pm

Slightly off topic, but still relevent...

For the past 10 years or so I've backed up files to DVD or Blu-ray using Nero Burning ROM. NBR will take a large backup set and automatically span it over multiple discs. As it finishes writing one disc of a set, it asks for the next one to be inserted. A few months ago it suddenly stopped being able to recognize that I had inserted the next disc. I replaced the burner with a brand new one, but nothing.Uninstalled and re-installed everything up to the OS(Win7). Nero Support has been working on it for months, to no avail. They have finally given up. Something has changed on my machine that is causing the error, and no one can determine what it is.

Point being, things change over time, and something has probably crept in to your machine, or perhaps needed in your machine, that is causing the issue. Maybe a burner driver update, maybe a burner firmware update, a WinXP update, who knows?

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]