ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Any lossless (or close to it) editing formats I can convert MXF to besides DNxHD?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elisha MaleAny lossless (or close to it) editing formats I can convert MXF to besides DNxHD?
by on Sep 3, 2015 at 1:43:33 am

Hi everyone!

Amateur here. I created an account on this site after much googling because I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for. Hoping you guys can help!

I work as a FCP 7 and Premiere finishing editor, but up until now, I've only done editing and finishing, mostly in ProRes, on a Mac. I recently purchased a PC with Premiere CC 9 to start practicing with personal projects at home. I'm currently working on a project for a friend that was shot at 23.98 on a Canon C500. The files I pulled from the camera were all MXFs and I used the Canon XF utility to transfer them to my PC.

I know Premiere can work with MXF files, but I want to be able to work in a format that I can finish in, and my friend doesn't want his final files to be MXFs. On a Mac, I'd convert these to ProRes, but I did some googling, and the general consensus seems to be that DNxHD is the ProRes equivalent on a PC. I tried messing around with DNxHD sequence presents, particularly DNX 175 1080p23.976 and playback seems to be fine, but the MXF files I'm working with in the sequence have 4 distinct audio tracks, and even through I've set my audio channels and export settings correctly for the DNxHD sequence, all my exports come out with dual mono audio instead of 4 channel. When I set the same sequence up on Premiere on my Mac, all 4 audio channels come out fine.

I am new to PC editing, so it could be that I'm doing something else wrong, but before I explore that grey area I'd like to see if there are any other lossless formats I can convert to. This is my first time working in DNxHD, but I've worked with a lot of other file formats, so I'm hoping to find out if I can edit in something more familiar.

I've also read that MXF is just a wrapper for an mpeg-2. Is there a way I could un-wrap the MXF and work directly with the mpeg-2?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]