ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Removing duplicate frames from footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank GreccoRemoving duplicate frames from footage
by on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:09:25 pm

I have some 8mm films that I had transferred that have a frame rate of 29.97. When brought into either Premiere or After Effects in a composition matching the clips' frame rate, there is a pattern where every 2nd and 3rd frame are held for 2 frames. So it displays the first 6 frames across 10 frames as follows:

I'm guessing this has something to do with the conversion to 29.97 from its original frame rate of 18 but my efforts to remove the duplicate frames have been unsuccessful. I've tried interpreting the frame rate as a number of different frame rates (24, 23.976) and have also tried fiddling with the pulldown settings. Ultimately, i'm preparing the footage so that I can speed it up ever so slightly but I wanted to make sure they were playing back evenly before hand.

I contacted the place that did the transfer and they said:
'Our software creates a video file that is 29.97 but the playback of the film within that video file is at 18 fps. Because of the software we use it will create a duplicate pull down frame as you have just said. The only way to create a true 1:1 frame rate based on the original film would be if it was shot at 24 fps and process it at 24P, creating a video file that would be 23.97. '

This makes me think that it's not possible but if you have any tips for either After Effects or Premiere that might do the trick I'd love to hear them!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]