ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

4k video editing - Hardware Configuration

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Marsh4k video editing - Hardware Configuration
by on Aug 29, 2015 at 6:00:39 pm

I'm trying to get setup to edit 4k video, I am running the current system:
Processor: 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K

Memory: just upgraded to 32Gb of DDR3 Ripjaw

Video Card: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB - EVGA Superclocked - Single Card

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0

Primary Hard Drive: 1 x 120GB Kingston V300 SSD + 2TB 7200RPM HARD DRIVE (Videos are on 2TB Hard Drive)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-bit

When playing 4k video (from a GoPro)in a player like VLC it plays smoothly, when brought into an editing environment like Premiere it slows down and stutters after a few seconds. I just added 16Gb of RAM which made zero difference. I am using the Mercury GPU Acceleration Memory Playback Engine.

I don't get it 4 x 4.0 GHZ i7 + 4GB GPU + 32 GB of RAM one would think = 4k video editing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: 4k video editing - Hardware Configuration
by on Oct 24, 2015 at 3:07:28 am

Check out the RED forum on Creative COW and other RED related sites. You will find a wealth of info about system requirements for editing 4K native footage.

Basically, you want to think big, very BIG for 4K editing. Everything from processors to RAM to GPU needs to be supercharged and then some.

You might be better off with a PC platform to edit 4K files on Premiere Pro CS6 or CC 2014. PCs allow you to get much more for your $$$ over the MAC. I would recommend checking out the RED Rocket Accelerator card or the NVIDIA GPU offerings.

I worked with an editor on a 48 hour film contest couple of years ago and he had a PC tower that was like 2.5ft tall and almost as deep. Water cooled processors (lots of them). He had spent something like $10K but this machine could render 4K files in native mode without stuttering.

Good luck,

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]