ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Upscaling Issue

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ravi cabelUpscaling Issue
by on Aug 27, 2015 at 9:04:01 pm

Is there a limit to how far 1080p 60fps source can be upscaled?

I've come across an odd issue with a particular clip when uploading to YouTube that causes a strange pixel blocking effect ( or what it looks like to me ) but it only appears when I try to upscale the source above 2048x1152 at 60fps. If I keep it at that resolution or lower the bad pixel effect isn't visible.

At first I thought it was a limit or issue with H264/x264 but I can get similar degradation with WMV.

Right now I have no idea what causes it. I thought it might be something wrong with the source at that particular part of the clip but if that were the case it would show up at 1080p and 1152p renders.

Below is an example of the issue ( view at 1080p quality option ). Notice when the helicopter rotates left if you look closely at it you can see it becomes pixelated / quality degrades. Shortly after when it rotates downward it clears up.

The example below shows that it can be upscaled to 2048x1152 without causing this issue as it keeps the same visual quality when the helicopter rotates left ( view at 1080p quality option ).

The source file I used for these exmaples for anyone that wants to try it themselves: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19361624/source.mp4

I'm looking for any info that might explain what causes this. I don't believe this has anything to do with YT's re-encoder and I'm unclear on if it's because of the source itself because in both cases it can be rendered and processed just fine so long as it is below 2048x1152.

Tried in both Premiere Pro CS6 and CC.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Upscaling Issue
by on Aug 28, 2015 at 7:02:25 am

[ravi cabel] "Is there a limit to how far 1080p 60fps source can be upscaled? "

The limit is where the footage doesn't look good enough for you.

[ravi cabel] "I'm looking for any info that might explain what causes this. "

What are your exact export settings for the videos?

Return to posts index

ravi cabelRe: Upscaling Issue
by on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:49:07 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "The limit is where the footage doesn't look good enough for you."

Not quite though as I described it looks just fine when rendered out at any resolution 1152p or lower but anything higher than that causes a weird degradation or pixelation at that particular part of the clip I mentioned above.

[Tero Ahlfors] "What are your exact export settings for the videos?"

The 3200x1800 render was:

Frame Rate: 60
Field Order: Progressive
Aspect: Square Pixels
Profile: High
Level: 5.2

The bitrate settings I've tried all three available for H264, they all result in the same issue.

Same render settings for the other video that doesn't have the issue except the resolution is lowered to 2048x1152. I could render it out to 1080p and it would look the same as 1152. It's when I go higher than that this issue occurs.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Upscaling Issue
by on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:18:34 pm

[ravi cabel] "The bitrate settings I've tried all three available for H264, they all result in the same issue.
"

There's quite more than three settings for bitrate.

Return to posts index

ravi cabelRe: Upscaling Issue
by on Aug 31, 2015 at 11:05:29 am

[Tero Ahlfors] "There's quite more than three settings for bitrate."

CBR, VBR 1-pass, VBR 2-pass are all that I'm seeing available for H264 in Premiere Pro. If you know of a codec and the settings to go with it that can upscale past 2048x1152 without getting this issue I would definitely try it myself. I don't know where else to take this issue as I don't really know what is triggering it other than upscaling past a certain resolution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]