ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Lumetri Equivalent of Colorista HSL Wheels?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sherng-Lee HuangLumetri Equivalent of Colorista HSL Wheels?
by on Aug 22, 2015 at 2:52:41 pm

Hi everyone — I'm new to Creative Cow, thanks in advance. I'm color-correcting my first low-budget feature film, trying to keep it in Premiere CC2015 for the most part. We shot on a GH4 (internal 4K codec, editing on a 3840x2160 timeline) on Cine_D setting with contrast and saturation set at -2. It's not super-flat; I'm just grading for consistency and for a slightly richer look (darkening the lower part of the curve, mostly). A couple questions:

1) I really like the convenience of Lumetri, but I am missing one feature from Colorista, the HSL wheels, which makes it really easy to isolate and change certain colors (say, cool down just the green of the trees to make them pop, or change the hue of just the sky, to match it with another shot). Is there an equivalent in Lumetri? I know I can isolate colors for saturation using the Hue Saturation Curve wheel, but I can't figure out how to change the cast of particular colors. Colorista takes longer to render, so it would be nice to find the equivalent function in Lumetri.

2) When adjusting the color of the sky in Colorista using the HSL wheels, I've noticed that I can't change it too much without introducing a lot of noise/blockiness. Is there a workaround for this? Can Lumetri (or possibly DaVinci Resolve Lite) do a better job of this? Making the sky color consistent is one of the main things I'm trying to do (the use of ND filters during shooting really affected the color of the sky).

Sherng-Lee Huang
Mac Book Pro (Yosemite)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
Adobe Creative Suite CC2015
Magic Bullet Suite 12

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto CroceRe: Lumetri Equivalent of Colorista HSL Wheels?
by on Aug 23, 2015 at 9:53:01 pm

question 1:
use the color balance (HSL) filter in PP
question 2:
unfortunately the internal codec is 4:2:0 and have limited color information so you can't pull to much with color correction without introduce blockiness and noise.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Sherng-Lee HuangRe: Lumetri Equivalent of Colorista HSL Wheels?
by on Aug 24, 2015 at 2:35:56 am

Thanks for the response. I tried the Color Balance HLS effect and it doesn't have the same control as the HSL wheels in Colorista. In Colorista, you can grab just one color (like red) and adjust its saturation, hue, and luminance, while leaving the other colors unaffected. However, Colorista takes a long time to render so I was wondering if there is a way to do this in Lumetri.

Sherng-Lee Huang
Mac Book Pro (Yosemite)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
Adobe Creative Suite CC2015
Magic Bullet Suite 12

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto CroceRe: Lumetri Equivalent of Colorista HSL Wheels?
by on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:08:23 am

You can use "Change color" effect, is not to much precise but it do the job.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]