ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Best Set Up with This Specifications? SSD,HDD, USB3.0

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John GtzBest Set Up with This Specifications? SSD,HDD, USB3.0
by on Aug 22, 2015 at 5:42:27 am

Hello Fellas,

I have been reading, watching and looking for some answer for this but everybody seem to have way different hardware that I do (especially more and bigger).

So my question is simple.
What set up would be the best according to the following software, and what content would you put in each drive?

1/256 SSD
1/1T HDD
1/1T External Hard Drive connected by USB 3.0

In my old laptop I only had 1T HDD and 1T External Drive connected by USB 2.0. I basically want to know how you would set it up given those 3 drives.

Im hesitating about whether I should install Premiere Pro into the SSD drive or the HHD. All I have read is that the program should go into the faster drive (SSD which is C:) but I have also heard that we should use multiple drives for a better performance and that the place where the project is getting worked on should be the faster drive, which in my case is the SSD.

Thank you in advance for your helpful replies.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Best Set Up with This Specifications? SSD,HDD, USB3.0
by on Aug 22, 2015 at 5:35:24 pm

John,

Like many users, it seems you're a bit confused about hard drives and how they contribute to NLE performance. In the following thread, you'll see that I was responding to a slightly different question, but the most of the thorough explanation I wrote applies to you and your question, and I think it should really help you to develop a real understanding of matters pertaining to hard drives and RAIDs, and exactly how they drive much of the performance in NLEs.

If you have additional questions after reading I'll be happy to help you further.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/292/3996#3998

BTW, to really get a handle on the science I discuss on your own system, with your own hard drives, download the AJA System Test here: https://www.aja.com/en/products/aja-system-test. And, run it on all of your drives to see what your read and write speeds are. I'll help you to interpret the results if you'd like.

Also, for me to really help you, I'll need to know the predominant codec you're editing, sequence settings, and how many layers of audio and video you typically edit on the timeline.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

John GtzRe: Best Set Up with This Specifications? SSD,HDD, USB3.0
by on Aug 24, 2015 at 8:49:27 pm

Dear David,

Thank you for your help. To be honest I hadn't heard about RAIDs until I started my research. However, as for right now, the drives that I had discussed will be the only ones that I will be able to use for the time being.

I predominantly help my wife with her cooking videos as well as cut up some footage shot during family reunions and such.

Such footage is shot on dslr 24fps, and usually I do not have too many layers of audio and video, I'd say no more than 5 or 6.

What I really want to know is how should I distribute the material, program, cache and such, so I could get the best performance with what I have.

Thank you again for taking the time, for a pro like you are I think questions like this may get annoying.

John

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Best Set Up with This Specifications? SSD,HDD, USB3.0
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 6:57:37 pm

Do you want the application to run fast, or do you want to be able to be able to playback video seamlessly?

The answer is, always use your fastest drive(s) for video storage. The issue you'll have of course is that your SSD drive is your fastest drive and it's capacity is only 240GB. So, unless you purchase a RAID you're going to have to compromise, and distributing the cache isn't really going to make a huge difference unless the video you're editing is capable of seamless playback from a single drive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

John GtzRe: Best Set Up with This Specifications? SSD,HDD, USB3.0
by on Aug 27, 2015 at 2:34:40 am

That's what I was afraid of. Like I said, the video projects that I have worked on so far are rather small.

The first ones were all made in one 500GB HDD (with only about 300GB available aprox.) The editing part was not the problem, but rather the render part, and the playback when I would apply some small video corrections, like contrast and such.

After that, I cleaned up my HDD (400GB available aprox) and put the video footage on an external hard drive, but my old laptop only had usb 2.0. I did not see any big difference, nothing much since the render and corrections were about the same.

Now with a USB 3.0 port and a SSD drive I thought I could somehow manage to have something at least better than those other 2 times.

If I install Adobe Pr in the HDD and take the footage from the ssd, would that make a difference? or should I leave it installed in the SSD and take my footage from USB3.0 drive?

I would definitely consider a RAID in a near future, but I would need to build me a desktop to take whole advantage of it, I guess.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]