ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff HolcombMedia Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 10:14:12 pm

I started my video editing work in FCPX, but decided to start learning Premiere to see if I like it better. I'm starting to see a lot of benefits with Premiere, however one thing I can't get over is the media organization. Although the bins and sub-bins thing is great and intuitive, FCPX seems to have a lot more features for organizing your project before you edit.

For example, in FCPX, you can quickly add keywords or "Favorite" labels to a clip or section of a clip with just a few keystrokes. You can even add multiple keyword labels to a clip, which is very helpful in case I am torn as to what to label it. For example, if I took a timelapse while on a mountain hike, I can label it as both "Timelapse" and "Mountain Hike", so if I'm searching through my timelapses keyword collection it will show up, as well as in my mountain hike collection. Also, if I'm not sure what to label it at all, but I just know I definitely want to use this clip sometime, you just hit F and it will Favorite that clip or section so you can easily find it later.

So far, I haven't found similar tools in Premiere. All the organization tutorial videos I've found on Youtube are very fundamental, like "Make a new bin, label it, drag and drop your footage into that bin". What happens if I drag and drop that footage into multiple bins? Does that create extra work for my computer? And how do I mark a certain clip as something I definitely want to use, and be able to recall it at a future time?

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 3:34:26 am

Prelude.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:51:55 am
Last Edited By Tero Ahlfors on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:55:50 am

You can add keywords to the description field in the project panel or the metadata panel and if you search for a keyword in the project panel you can find your footage.

[Jeff Holcomb] "What happens if I drag and drop that footage into multiple bins?"

In Premiere you'll have only one copy of a media file. You can duplicate that but then it'll be a new independent clip.

[Jeff Holcomb] "And how do I mark a certain clip as something I definitely want to use, and be able to recall it at a future time?"

Use labels or mark the clip as good in the metadata or drag it into a favorites bin or write favorite into the description metadata. You can also make a keyboard shortcut to a specific label.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 1:20:41 pm

If you look at the Metadata panel in project panel...

there are a lot of options...some may not even be exposed by default.

you also have the option of creating your own categories....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Jeff HolcombRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 3:24:50 pm

Cool, thanks for the reply, all of those seem pretty straightforward, although maybe a few steps longer than in FCPX. For example, in FCPX, you can highlight a clip or section, hit CMD+K and it will bring up a text box for keyword labels, or you can set certain keywords to hot keys, so you can highlight a clip or multiple clips and hit CTRL+1 and it will tag everything you've highlighted. I'm not sure yet if there are any streamlined shortcuts like that in Premiere, but I'll get acquainted with it and hopefully it becomes as quick and easy as FCPX.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 3:56:10 pm

Premiere to me fails at the start.

Too many gotchas in the import regarding RED files.

It gets worse when you cant re-link files easily from top root.

FCPX can do this with no problem.

Oh well at least I find use for Premiere time to time.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:15:31 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Too many gotchas in the import regarding RED files."

There's been a Premiere RED workflow paper since CS6. The only gotcha is importing them through the media browser panel so the spanned clips are brought in properly.

Return to posts index

Yair BartalRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:16:19 pm

As far as I've found, it will NOT become as quick and easy as FCPX at this stage.
May be in subsequent versions.
I'll be glad to learn otherwise though.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:01:18 pm

Have you looked at using Adobe Bridge? Here's an article I wrote a few years ago for the COW Magazine:

https://library.creativecow.net/bourke_joseph/magazine_27-Adobe-Bridge/1

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeff HolcombRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:06:47 pm

I haven't, although someone mentioned Prelude earlier in the thread. What do these other programs do, in a nutshell? Its a little off-putting to have to purchase additional programs, since I'm trying to get away with paying the $20/month deal for just the one Premiere CC program.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:26:38 pm

Jeff -

Both Adobe Bridge and Prelude are included as part of the CC offering. You just have to install them and see which one best suits your needs.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Colin O'HRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 8:04:46 pm

I was actually coming on to the forum to post the exact same question.
I use Premiere pro and I get a student discount so I can afford it but in college for some reason we are made use FCPX on the iMacs. Dont ask me why? The have all the other adobe software.
I mostly dislike FCPX but marking multiple in and outs on a single clip and saving them to different keywords and favourites and then being able to hide all the ones you dont like makes sorting things so easy and fast.
I'm guessing it just comes down to creating bins and custom short-cuts within premiere pro itself.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:37:12 am

[Jeff Holcomb] "For example, if I took a timelapse while on a mountain hike, I can label it as both "Timelapse" and "Mountain Hike", so if I'm searching through my timelapses keyword collection it will show up, as well as in my mountain hike collection. Also, if I'm not sure what to label it at all, but I just know I definitely want to use this clip sometime, you just hit F and it will Favorite that clip or section so you can easily find it later."

The key wording/tagging setup in FCP X is certainly one of its strong points. To use your example, in PPro you can create Search Bins which have a similar function to X's Smart Collections (the biggest difference is that PPro's Search Bins do not auto update). If you create a "Timelaspe" Search Bin and a "Mountain Hike" Search Bin then you'll clip will show up in both places. The way to work around the Search Bin's not auto updating is to select the Search Bin you want to update, right click, Edit Search Bin, and then hit 'ok' w/o changing any of the parameters.

Again, not as elegant as X's method, but it is handy.

Return to posts index

David PowellRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Aug 14, 2015 at 8:06:40 am

Keywording is quick in FCPX but the downside is when you have to matchframe back to a clip. Its really a burden in FCPX. Theres no relation to the clips that are in the bin from which it came. It opens at event level VERY slowly and half the time you cant even see the clip. May not be a big deal to you. It is to me. Just something to consider.

Return to posts index

Brian SeegmillerRe: Media Organization in Premiere vs. FCPX
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 4:05:36 pm

Search Bins aren't even close to what X's Smart collections can do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]