ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Program Monitor Lagging and freezing when trimming WAV files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Luke GoodsonProgram Monitor Lagging and freezing when trimming WAV files
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 4:23:57 pm

So, ever since I updated to Premiere Pro CC 2015 I have been experiencing an odd issue that has continued to persist and gotten worse over time. What is happening is that on certain projects I am having an issue where when I import a large audio file into the timeline (in this case a soundtrack, I have tried MP3, WAV, and AIFF formats) the program monitor will suddenly start to freeze on frames every time I trim a clip, sometimes it will catch back up with itself, but other times it gets so bad that I have to completely restart the program. What is strange is that this only happens when I trim a clip and it starts happening on any clip, not just the audio file. I don't experience any other lag in the program whatsoever. What will happen is it will freeze and show to different parts of the timeline at the same time, often showing timecode for both, this issue looks like this:

I can move a clip on the timeline, no problem, I can change the in and out points, no problem. Playback is totally smooth, it is only when I try to trim a clip that it happens. While the program monitor is frozen, I can still click around and do other things in Premiere as well, so it isn't even really freezing the whole program, just the program monitor and the timeline seem to be affected.

I have checked to make sure that all of the audio file settings match that of my timeline, so that is not an issue. I can even import the same audio files into different projects and they will not cause this issue. This problem has happened to me on a couple of different projects, both of which were relatively large with highly populated timelines.

My PC specs are:
Windows 7
Intel Core i5 4670 3.2 GHZ
16 GB Ram
NVidia Geforce GTX 650 TI
I am using dual monitors, though I tried unplugging one and the issue still persisted

The sequence settings are:
AVCHD 1080P Square Pixel Preset
23.976 frames/second
Square Pixels (1.0)
23.976 fps timecode
48000 hz sample rate
Composite in linear color is checked

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Program Monitor Lagging and freezing when trimming WAV files
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 5:33:50 pm

You've mentioned every component in your NLE except your media drive(s). Based upon the red render line under the graphic on your timeline, it appears you're most likely editing off of a single hard drive that's generating enough throughout.

So, what precisely are the specs of your media drive and how is it connected?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Luke GoodsonRe: Program Monitor Lagging and freezing when trimming WAV files
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 6:41:07 pm

Hi, thank you for your reply. However, I did some more research and discovered that the freezing is caused by Premiere Pro CC 2015's new "Composite Preview During Trim" option, which was automatically enabled after the update. Turning it off caused the issue to stop altogether.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]