ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

White balance/color correct multiple shades of white at once?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie EastonWhite balance/color correct multiple shades of white at once?
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 3:44:01 am

Hello,

I'm shooting a video that's going to have a black and white striped backdrop. Unfortunately, this backdrop is actually 3 different backdrops strung up side by side and the whites in each of the backdrops aren't quite identical. (Like, one might be pure white and the other might be kind of off-white, but supposed to be pure white. And a third somewhere in between.)

The question is - can I do some kind of white balancing or color correcting in post (I'm using Premiere Pro 5.5) to make all three slightly different shades of white look like they're the same shade? I've been messing around with this by filming three different "white" objects at once - like a piece of paper, a white t-shirt, and an off-white container - and then trying to get them all to match, but I haven't succeeded.

Any suggestions? I assume it's possible somehow, but might be more complicated than it's worth?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: White balance/color correct multiple shades of white at once?
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 1:40:21 pm
Last Edited By Alex Udell on Aug 10, 2015 at 2:23:59 pm

Hi Melanie...

the least painful way I can think of to do this would be with the three-way color corrector.

it's secondary section includes eye droppers and controls to create a mask to let you correct within areas that match a specific color (range).

So you will likley need 1 CC per shade of white to control and balance them out to be the same.

But once you get one clip...you should be able to copy and paste attributes to other clips...

you could then do overall color correction (non secondary) on top of that...

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Melanie EastonRe: White balance/color correct multiple shades of white at once?
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 11:58:05 pm

Thanks Alex! I'll play around with that right now and see if I can pull that off. Though it does sound like just getting the backgrounds to match in the original shoot would be a heck of a lot simpler than the whole "fix it in post" strategy.

Thanks again! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]