ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg James4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?
by on Aug 7, 2015 at 6:56:21 pm

I have a late 2013 Mac Pro. 3.7GHZ 12GB RAm and D330 graphics card. Editing off a 7600RMP drive connected by thunderbolt. Scratch disc is the internal SSD. I'm editing a 4k timeline at the moment and it's very slow. I'm playing it back in 1/8 resolution which is helping but it's frequently laggy.

I have three possibles

1 Either the computer is enough and I need to optimise Premiere somehow

2 I need to upgrade the RAM to at least 32GB

3. I need to edit off an SSD which I can do by connecting it to my external caddy and connecting it via USB 3. Would USB 3 negate the advantages of the SSD?

4. I have to do all those things and take out a loan!

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: 4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?
by on Aug 7, 2015 at 7:21:51 pm

[Greg James] "Editing off a 7600RMP drive connected by thunderbolt. Scratch disc is the internal SSD. I'm editing a 4k timeline at the moment and it's very slow."

What format is the media? - Codec, frame rate, etc.? It sounds like the problem is your media drive. A single drive, no matter the speed or interface (like Tbolt) is not enough to reliability play 4K files in real-time. More RAM will also help, but it is not the solution.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Greg JamesRe: 4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?
by on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:52:03 am

The footage is coming from the Panasonic GH4 so it's fairly compressed as 4k goes. 25fps (PAL) - what do you mean by a single drive? Should I be getting a faster drive and splitting it across the drives?

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: 4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?
by on Aug 8, 2015 at 12:37:35 pm

[Greg James] "Panasonic GH4 so it's fairly compressed as 4k goes."

That's a high bit-rate flavor of H264 and, therefore, harder to decode, which affects performance.

[Greg James] "what do you mean by a single drive"

Drive performance with media is based on how fast you can get the data off of the drive. More spindles (more spinning disks) equals better performance. A multi-drive RAID or JBOD should give you much better throughput than a single drive mechanism. For example, a Promise Pegasus, CalDigit, G-Tech, or OWC RAID.

[Greg James] "Should I be getting a faster drive and splitting it across the drives?"

Unless something else weird is going on, then I would say yes.

Have you run a drive speed test like AJA or Blackmagic?

Another option would be to first transcode the GH4 media to ProRes or Avid DNxHR and see if you have any better results. You might want to do this before investing in more gear. At least for an experiment.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: 4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?
by on Oct 24, 2015 at 3:46:56 am

Max out the RAM on your machine to the maximum (32GB. 64 GB, etc.)

Your OS and APPs should be maintained on a SSD - 250 to 500GB,

Your media drive could be another SSD, but most likely will be a HDD - 7,200rpm, eSATA, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

I would purchase another SSD or 7,200rpm drive for your dedicated Scratch Disk.

Can you upgrade the amount of memory in your GPU card, or buy a newer CUDA capable GPU card?

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

Greg JamesRe: 4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 5:43:13 pm

...time passes..... I had the opportunity last week of getting an SSD (Crucial MX200 500GB) which I've plugged into my Hard Drive Dock. It is connected to the Mac by USB 3.0 I've done a speed test and it's running at 230mb/s write and 250mb/s read. Screenshot attached. This is slower than I expected considering my current editing drive is at 186 and 196 respectively. Conventional 3TB drive connected by thunderbolt. Just re-reading your reply to me you suggested using the SSD as a scratch disc only. Would you suggest doing that vs using the SSD as a working drive? i.e every project I edit goes on the SSD until it's finished and then stored elsewhere.

Would it be better in terms of performance to keep the source files on my current conventional drives connected by thunderbolt and purely use the SSD as a scratch disc via USB 3 for all my premiere projects?

Thanks in advance.
Greg
Haven't yet found the money to max out the RAM. Still at 12GB with 3 reserved for other applications when PP is in use.

Return to posts index

Tom LaughlinRe: 4k editing - More Ram vs SSD Editing Drive?
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:07:11 pm

Jon,

I have a question for you. When you set up Premiere Pro 9.1, I recently upgraded my MacPro, here are the specs:

Should I set the PP CC set it to "Preformance" or "Memory", and how many GBs RAM should I allocate to run Premiere, if that's my primary workhorse app?

Is this ok?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]