ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward GoreGraphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 6:43:23 pm

I was running Premiere Pro CC 2014, humming along nicely, when the CC window appeared saying that an upgrade was available. Disregarding the old adage not to upgrade in the middle of a project, I hit the button. Old adages are old for a reason! It was to upgrade to CC 2015.
After restarting, I opened the project and got the first information box. This project was created with an older... Yes, please. Save as.
Then came this one: "This project was last used with Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL), which is not available on this system. Mercury Playback Engine Software Only will be used." I don't know what this means! It worked before the update! A search brought up something about CUDA, which at first reading I thought Hemi 'Cuda, the 70's era muscle car.
No? ok.

I'm using a Dell Optiplex 7010,
Intel Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHZ
16GB RAM
64-bit Windows 7 OS
AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series display adapter

Not being able to resolve without way more research, I reinstalled CC 2014 and have been completing projects until I can figure this out. We've narrowed the issue to the video card, but don't know what to upgrade to. The list is long and many cards on the list seem to be out of date.
The long way to a short question is, which card for the PC will bring my edit system up to date?

Thanks,

Ed

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 7:32:12 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Aug 6, 2015 at 7:33:23 pm

For the most part supported Nvidia cards use Cuda, and AMD/ATI cards like yours, and some unsupported Nvidia cards, use OpenCL. Remember that, as it's essential info every editor needs to know.

Whenever updating the OS and/or your Adobe apps the default GPU driver is installed, it's up to you to search the Web for the latest driver for your card if there is one, then install that driver and enable OpenCL in Adobe preferences when it's properly installed.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Monica StevensonRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:18:23 am

HI, David,
I just read your answer to the post about Mercury Playback. I am trying to update my ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB driver, but can find NO WHERE that has a Mac driver, just Windows. What do you recommend? Sorry if you are not the right person to whom to ask this....
monica

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:24:34 am

Hi Monica,

Your card uses OpenCL with Adobe, but that card is ancient and slow as molasses. You really should update to a new Nvidia card, which will use the much better Cuda drivers to drive the Mercury Playback Engine. Call OWC and ask their Mac experts which card you need for your specific Mac - without one of those cards you will be struggling to playback and render inside Adobe CC.

Good luck...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Monica StevensonRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 12:50:13 pm

Thank you David!!!
Much appreciated.
monica

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:33:52 am

[Monica Stevenson] "I just read your answer to the post about Mercury Playback. I am trying to update my ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB driver, but can find NO WHERE that has a Mac driver, just Windows."

The default driver supplied by Apple might be the only one available, but Mercury Playback requires a GPU with at least 1gig of VRAM if you are using Adobe CC or newer.

Return to posts index

Danny BeardRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 6:12:48 am

For the most part supported Nvidia cards use Cuda, and AMD/ATI cards like yours, and some unsupported Nvidia cards, use OpenCL. Remember that, as it's essential info every editor needs to know.

Whenever updating the OS and/or your Adobe apps the default GPU driver is installed, it's up to you to search the Web for the latest driver for your card if there is one, then install that driver and enable OpenCL in Adobe preferences when it's properly installed.

@David Roth Weiss

Have you found a forum, speed tests, resource(s) that discusses editors best options, who prefer to stay on OSX and work in Adobe CC? I have a 27'' 5K imac with a 4GB of AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB graphics card.

I picked up this thread

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/959476
and they concluded that new imacs are incompatible with CUDA. I have been running Open CL in Premiere, with glitches, slow render times, text all issues I would hope would have been resolved with a contemporary graphics card. From what I gather Adobe and Apple want to split ways regarding collaborative performance, PC is the only way to get CUDA?

Thank you for your time and input.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:43:42 am

[Danny Beard] " PC is the only way to get CUDA?"

CUDA is only supported on Nvidia cards. The iMac has an AMD card so it can only use OpenCL. If you had a Mac with an Nvidia card (like an older Mac Pro) you could use CUDA.

Return to posts index

Steve MillerRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on Apr 30, 2016 at 8:44:00 pm

Yes, the PC is the only way to get CUDA unless you have an older Mac Pro tower.
Apple has screwed the pooch on this one...

If Apple was smart... and AMD was smart and NVIDIA was smart, they would all work together on the CUDA problem. Without CUDA, render times on videos that have any minor effects on them are extremely slow.
From all I've researched, the GPU has little to no effect on After Effects performance by the way, as most of the effects are not coded to take advantage of GPU processing.

I love my 27" iMac 5K, but I'm going to be moving to a PC here quite soon as I just don't have the time for 2 hour renders on 10 minute videos...

Here's a fun PDF from Intel to read:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/workstat...

*steve

Return to posts index

John PaleRe: Graphics (video) card question for PC/Premiere Pro CC 2015...
by on May 1, 2016 at 12:06:36 am

Apple did not exactly screw the pooch. FCPX makes heavy use of OpenCL, and performs well with it. Apple doesn't really optimize for a competing product like Premiere, so don't be surprised they are not using Nvidia cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]