ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How do you manage your media archive?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip NevesHow do you manage your media archive?
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 2:22:42 pm

I do video for a non-profit, and we have a few years' worth of video archived on a server. It's roughly organized in folders, but we'd like to come up with a solution to tag it all so that we can quickly search it and pull in source footage to reuse on new projects. It'd be great to be able to use whatever data gets applied to the assets in Premiere as well to organize projects.

Do you have a system at your shop for managing metadata on old footage? What do you do?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How do you manage your media archive?
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 3:11:28 pm

I would strongly suggest using Adobe Bridge. Here's an article I wrote for the COW Magazine a few years ago on using Bridge:

https://library.creativecow.net/bourke_joseph/magazine_27-Adobe-Bridge/1

I have thousands of assets (still) and can put my hands on them in no time. The hardest part is coming up with a keywording and organizational system which will work for you.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Philip NevesRe: How do you manage your media archive?
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 7:36:08 pm

Thank you, Joseph! Great article. I wish I had seen it earlier.

We'll probably wind up in Bridge, but we had some hesitations because it doesn't play MXFs right now (or the raw XF codec structures from the camera). But we should probably transcode everything to ProRes anyway, right?

I'm impressed by how you manage projects at the filesystem level with the clients/client-name/project-name structure, too. We just make the client name part of the project folder, but this might be better.

Question: Would you set up the filesystem organization any differently if you knew going in that one set of footage would be feeding multiple projects? IE make a sort of media pool in a static location that projects can draw from without having to store multiple copies of the footage close to each?

- philip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]