ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Can I organize clips automatically in a multi camera sequence?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harald WarholmCan I organize clips automatically in a multi camera sequence?
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:09:45 pm

First of all, I'm a complete novice, so please be nice! :-)

I'm editing a multi camera sequence. During the shoot, we used five cameras and a sound recorder. We shot clips of varying duration, which resulted in about 70 clips that had to be synced to the audio track. Premiere handled the job perfectly, but now I have a sequence with 70 video tracks, which looks like a mess and is a mess to edit.

The clips from each camera were neatly organized into separate bins, but that didn't help much... Of course, I'm reorganizing the clips manually to get each camera onto one video track, but is it a simpler way to do that?

Return to posts index

James StrawnRe: Can I organize clips automatically in a multi camera sequence?
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 11:09:51 pm

What method did you use to synchronize them in the "Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence" dialog?
You can do it by in point, marker, timecode or even by auto-comparing the wave-form (which is my favorite, when applicable). Also in that dialog you can tell it to just use one of your audio sources (which is actually the default) and then worry about sweetening the audio once the actual video cutting is done. Many edits will have an extra audio-only track anyways which if likely what you'd use for the master audio track.

PS... we're always nice to newbies.. it's later on that we get cranky (not really). As long as you make some effort to search out basic answers first, most people will be happy to help.

Return to posts index

Harald WarholmRe: Can I organize clips automatically in a multi camera sequence?
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 11:47:34 pm

Thanks, but I think I need to clarify:

I synchonized the clips with the audio option, so no problems there. It worked like a dream!

The problem is, that when I open the multicam source sequence in the timeline, each video clip has been given it's own video track, a total number of 70 tracks. In turn, that will give me 70 thumbnails to stare at when I start the editing process. I'd rather have 5, one for each camera. To achieve that, I have to manually drag-and-drop each clip recorded on the same camera and collect them onto one track. That will give me only 5 video tracks in the end.

It's tedious work, it's easy to make mistakes, so I'm looking for a method to automate that last bit... :-)

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Can I organize clips automatically in a multi camera sequence?
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 11:28:31 pm

[Harald Warholm] "The clips from each camera were neatly organized into separate bins, but that didn't help much... Of course, I'm reorganizing the clips manually to get each camera onto one video track, but is it a simpler way to do that?"

Nope. Currently there is no way to tell PPro "Hey, all these clips are from Cam A so please put them on V1 and all those clips are from Cam B so please put them all on V2 etc.,." I'm surprised and disappointed that Adobe hasn't fixed it yet because it's a pretty glaring problem.

Best we can do is keep submitting feature requests for it via the link below.

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]