ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Spanned Clips and FCP X XML Puzzle

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat KramerSpanned Clips and FCP X XML Puzzle
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 6:39:43 pm

Hello Fellow Editors!

I have a somewhat odd workflow issue that just came to me a few days ago with a new client. It involves a FCP X XML export, and spanned .MTS clips from a Sony FS7.

The client wants to make rough edits in FCP X, and then hand off the projects to me to tighten & finish in Premiere Pro, etc. The FCP X version is a new one (not sure the exact number), running on Yosemite.

We followed the advice of Larry Jordan in this article:
https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-transfer-projects-to-premiere-pro-cc...
and used Intelligent Assistant's "XtoCC" application to make an XML file that would be compatible with Premiere Pro, I believe this was in the FCP 7 standard.

So far so good: the resulting, converted XML file opened fine in Premiere and looked good, but an issue came up with the spanned clips.

Each spanned clip was represented by a single object in FCP X. Indeed, even OS X's Finder recognizes these spanned clips as opposed to the individual files found on the cards. In premiere, I can open these same spanned clips, but only using the Media Browser and pointing to the directories where the individual files that make up the clips exist. Thus I can open the same spanned clips in Premiere, but I am unable to *link* these clips because I can only (apparently) browse to the individual files themselves, not the spanned clips.

I've seen some suggestions on Adobe's site that indicate rendering new single-files from the spanned clips with the same codec using Media Encoder is the way to go; but this seems inelegant and might potentially degrade the footage. I've also found mention of breaking down "Compound Clips" (perhaps the same as spanned clips?) for import into AE and Audition in the Larry Jordan article, but I haven't tried this because I don't have the client's machine.

I'd love to find a workflow that's going to give the client what they want, or a more-or-less definitive answer that this isn't ideal/workable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading through--I love the Cow, I've reaped much benefit from it over the years. You all rule!
-Nat
Editor
Adobe CC 2015
Windows 7
(small) Monster Custom Desktop

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]