ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

going crazy with large files from varicam 35 in ppro cc 2014

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raul Zeummesgoing crazy with large files from varicam 35 in ppro cc 2014
by on Aug 2, 2015 at 7:27:42 pm

I'm at my wit's end here trying to edit some varicam 35 footage I have to turn in soon.

If anybody can help me figure out what's going on here I would greatly appreciate it.

The footage is in avc-intra4k422 format, 50 fps, UHD.
Some of the files are large, for example 280GB.
From what I've read this codec runs about 800mbps, so approx 100MB/s

I was worried that my raid was too slow, so I"ve upgraded it, and now atto windows disk benchmark is reporting speeds around 1100MB/s for read (writes are quite slow though). I've uploaded atto disk benchmark results for the array below. It's a sonnet DX800 raid expansion enclosure (the newer ones with 6g), but only an R380 raid controller. Still, the read speed seem ok, especially as I'm only trying to play back one stream at a time.
For some reason blackmagic speed test gives me nonsense results.

Starting playback, or navigating to different parts of clips lags for over a minute before I can play.
Then playback is smooth for a few seconds, then gets choppy.
Looking at perfmon, it really seems like the the delays and choppiness are related to disk activity, because the disk activity on the raid array completely maxes out whenever I'm having problems.

PC specs are as follows:
MB : asus z87 deluxe
haswell core i7 4770K 3.5 ghz
ram 32gB
system disk : samsung ssd 840 series
graphics gtx 960

Can anybody point me in the right direction for troubleshooting ?
Here's what I'm thinking about:
- there could be something about varicam 35 files in premiere that's buggy. Or something about very large files. I know from adobe support that there's a bug in media encoder that affects varicam files, so maybe it also affects premiere ?
- maybe I'm reading the situation wrong, and I need a card like blackmagic 4k extreme ? and it's not a disk performance issue ?
- maybe playback needs better write speeds for some reason ?
- maybe atto is giving me fake rosy read speeds, and my actual speeds are lower ? Or premiere is trying to read the data in a size/way that doesn't let the raid gives its best performance ?

Any ideas would be very welcome !

Thanks,

sam

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: going crazy with large files from varicam 35 in ppro cc 2014
by on Aug 2, 2015 at 9:05:08 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Aug 2, 2015 at 9:10:22 pm

If I were you I'd download the AJA System Test and if compare that against the results from both the ATTO and BM test apps. Frankly, I think it's odd you would believe the ATTO software over the BM software, but the AJA software will serve as a good tiebreaker so to speak.

Also, the BM 4K Extreme does not have any hardware acceleration, so not sure why you think that would help?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: going crazy with large files from varicam 35 in ppro cc 2014
by on Aug 2, 2015 at 11:55:39 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Aug 3, 2015 at 11:55:39 am

try random read/write uncompressed tests, and blackmagic tests video over a longer time, not just a short burst giving a true mb/sec. for example, a 840 evo says at least 400mb/sec but in actual real world @ 200 mb/sec. it's called marketing.

average read speeds of 4GB of evo 840 is 115 MB/sec!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6527/mydigitalssd-smart-bp3-msata-ssd-review/...

4k random read is about 40MB/sec!
http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_840_evo_ssd_review

Return to posts index

Raul ZeummesRe: going crazy with large files from varicam 35 in ppro cc 2014
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:55:16 am

Thanks for your reply david.

Below is the result of the aja system test, it seems to match up with the atto one.

I was under the impression that the blackmagic decklink 4k extreme 12g did do hardware acceleration for 4k playback, on their site it says capture and playback in 4k.
If that's not the case, what is a good hardware accelerated 4k playback card ?

Also, do you have any idea what could be going on with my varicam files ?

Thanks for your help,

sam

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: going crazy with large files from varicam 35 in ppro cc 2014
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:49:27 pm

[Raul Zeummes] "I was under the impression that the blackmagic decklink 4k extreme 12g did do hardware acceleration for 4k playback, on their site it says capture and playback in 4k.
If that's not the case, what is a good hardware accelerated 4k playback card ?"

GPU cards provide hardware acceleration, I/O cards and devices for the most part do not. When BM writes: "capture and playback in 4k'" they mean their latest hardware and software now supports input and output of the latest 4K codecs, the previous versions did not.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]