ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Audio problem

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt O'BrienAudio problem
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:36:18 pm

I shot some footage with my Canon 5D Mark II while the connection for external mics was broken. It resulted in bad audio that sounds really tingy, trebly. When I recorded with a lav mic, it gave me one bad channel and one good one, which I was able to fix by doing a Fill Left and then pumping up the volume. When I shot with a shotgun mic, both tracks are bad. I imagine there must some filter or two that could fix the problem, but so far I haven't had any success. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Audio problem
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:22:10 pm

You can't fix what isn't there. If the audio was recorded with very little low-frequency sound, you can't replace it. That's like asking if there's a filter that can re-create the details from highlights that are completely blown; there just isn't data there.

Post examples and we may be able to make recommendations, if it's salvageable.

Return to posts index

Matt O'BrienRe: Audio problem
by on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:21:46 am
Last Edited By Matt O'Brien on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:22:38 am

Thanks for responding. I don't know a lot about audio. I have taken your suggestion and I am attempting to post a sample. The fist 8 seconds is one woman's voice, and you can hear that it is too trebly, yet it is audible and comprehensible- that's why I was thinking there might be a way to correct it-- and at about the 8 sec point there's another bit of audio that is a dinner party noise-- many people all at once-- but it too sounds trebly and bad.

Return to posts index

Ryan FriasRe: Audio problem
by on Aug 1, 2015 at 2:41:31 am

Your example didn't open up for me, but I think I know what you're referring to. Is there any chance you can ADR/loop the line? Does your project allow that?

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Audio problem
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:35:07 pm

The embed was weird, didn't show up, but I managed to find the vimeo link in the page source.

Your problem is not an EQ problem. What happened here is that your levels were set too high, and the audio signal is clipping; the distortion is caused by that. On set in the future, you need to make sure that your audio levels never exceed about -12db, giving you some headroom for louder moments. This is exactly like making sure your highlights don't get blown out; you have to do it on-set, because once that detail is gone, there's no getting it back.

There is no filter that will get rid of it--as Ryan suggests, you will need to ADR this audio in order to clean it up.

Return to posts index

Matt O'BrienRe: Audio problem
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 1:39:00 pm

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]