ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Replacing 1080p Proxies with UltraHD 4K Clips - KEEPING ALL MY EFFECTS INTACT

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam GraffReplacing 1080p Proxies with UltraHD 4K Clips - KEEPING ALL MY EFFECTS INTACT
by on Jul 29, 2015 at 7:07:43 pm

I shot in UltraHD ProRes422 on a BM4K, but created 1080p ProRes(Proxies) to edit the project....Now I need to replace 1080 Proxies with the UltraHD 4k source clips, but I want to keep ALL my effects intact.

(Lots of my shots have been scaled to new sizes. I have key-framed matted layers that track with movement, scaled layers, warp stabilized shots, etc...)

I'm scared that once I replace my proxies with them, my entire project will get extremely screwed up. (I've also considered reconverting all my 4k UltraHD files to much higher quality 1080p ProRes422(HQ) or 4444 files, and swapping out my proxies for those new files, but obviously I'd rather not do that if I can help it.

- How hellish is this process going to be?
- Is there an easy way to do this all at once?
- Is there a way to change my timeline settings to make everything work more smoothly?

WHAT DO I DO? Please help!

Thank you so much,
Sam

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Replacing 1080p Proxies with UltraHD 4K Clips - KEEPING ALL MY EFFECTS INTACT
by on Jul 29, 2015 at 7:56:40 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Jul 29, 2015 at 7:57:38 pm

[Sam Graff] "I'm scared that once I replace my proxies with them, my entire project will get extremely screwed up. (I've also considered reconverting all my 4k UltraHD files to much higher quality 1080p ProRes422(HQ) or 4444 files, and swapping out my proxies for those new files, but obviously I'd rather not do that if I can help it."

Sam,

It seems you've already figured out that creating graphics, FX, and making moves on 1080 proxies is going to be a BIG problem. And yes, it's going to be a %$#@ing nightmare. Absolutely do make 4K proxies, it's the ONLY way to preserve all of your precise graphics, scaling, re-positioning, and animation.

The best rule of thumb whenever doing offline/online workflows is: always use the same pixel dimensions and frame rate whenever possible, or you will be in for a world of hurt.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Replacing 1080p Proxies with UltraHD 4K Clips - KEEPING ALL MY EFFECTS INTACT
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:33:56 pm

How did you create those proxies? Offline/Online in Premiere isn't as strong as it should be...it's not it's core function. It's core function is to work with media natively, full res. Media Management is not it's strong suit, so relinking might be problematic.

I had issues when I tested this on the first CC version....things might have gotten better, but my test did not go well.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David SikesRe: Replacing 1080p Proxies with UltraHD 4K Clips - KEEPING ALL MY EFFECTS INTACT
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:33:57 pm
Last Edited By David Sikes on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:34:43 pm

I've done this before. Three solutions have worked for me in the past:

1) Scale your source footage to 1080. If you're delivering to 1080, why not? If there are clips you've done substantial post-cropping in on, you can manually replace those clips with the 4k source material and just scale to taste.

2) Duplicate the sequence and change its settings to match the scale of your UHD footage. Make manual adjustments to effects and titles as necessary.

3) Replace everything. Select all your clips and use either Set to Frame Size or Scale to Frame Size. Not sure which one is better in this context.

No matter what, Premiere sucks at offline/online. It's intended to work with footage natively. But there are times when that's not ideal and you have to go through all of this. I wish they would develop a proper proxy workflow.

Return to posts index

David SikesRe: Replacing 1080p Proxies with UltraHD 4K Clips - KEEPING ALL MY EFFECTS INTACT
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:38:05 pm

[Sam Graff] "(Lots of my shots have been scaled to new sizes. I have key-framed matted layers that track with movement, scaled layers, warp stabilized shots, etc...) "

Sorry, I missed that. Ignore my first recommendation.

Set To Frame Size might just be your best friend in this context. When I've done this, and had to reconnect 4K footage in a 1080 timeline, it was for me. It's even a hotkey for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]