ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

CC 2014 Trim trouble

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James PollCC 2014 Trim trouble
by on Jul 27, 2015 at 5:41:17 pm

Hello all,

We recently did a company-wide upgrade to CC 2014 from CS6. Unfortunately, I am now experiencing a rather major issue with Premiere Pro, specifically around the Trim function.

In CS6, I could hit "T" to go into Trim mode, then tap the space bar to start a looping playback around my trim point, and trim away until I was happy. I would get playback on my external monitor, and the scrubber in the timeline would loop around the edit point as a visual reference too.

With CC 2014, however, when I start the looped playback, the image on my external monitor freezes, and the scrubber doesn't loop around the edit point. The looping trim mode *is* engaged, as I can still see the loop happening on the Premiere Pro Program panel, and I am able to perform trims, but I get no visual feedback on my external monitor or on the timeline. What's worse is that as I trim, about 80-90% of the time Premiere will crash outright, or give me a "Low level exception occurred in: Adobe Player (Player)". The latter error results in the loss of all audio playback, and I have to force quit (not just quit, but force quit) Premiere and re-launch everything to get the audio back.

Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating, as I am basically unable to work. I am open to any and all suggestions. Has anyone else had this problem?

Our systems, drivers and plugins should all have been updated to the latest versions. Our edit workstations are Dell Precision T5600 with Windows 7 Pro (service Pack 1), 32 GB RAM. For video we have nVidia Quadro K5000 (Driver 353.30), and for the external monitor an AJA LHe+ (12.2.0 build 75). Storage is a 60TB array, connected via 10Gig fibre.

Thanks everyone !

Return to posts index

James PollRe: CC 2014 Trim trouble
by on Jul 27, 2015 at 5:44:15 pm

Duh, sorry, forgot to mention that Premiere Pro itself is at version 2014.2 - 8.2.0 (65) Build.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alessandro PoRe: CC 2014 Trim trouble
by on Nov 16, 2015 at 6:00:19 pm

Hi James..
have you ever solved that issue by any chance. I seem to have the same issue too.
Help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

James PollRe: CC 2014 Trim trouble
by on Nov 17, 2015 at 7:04:37 pm

Hi Alessandro,

I was able to fix my crashing issue, but the visual feedback of the Trim looping seems to be either broken or removed from CC 2014.2.

For the crashing, it turns out that we needed to adjust a playback setting for Premiere to work with our AJA Kona LHe+ cards. In the "Playback" section of Premiere Pro's preferences, under the "Video Device" area there is a "Setup" link for the AJA Kona card. In this setup box we had to make sure that the "Video Format" was set to "Match Control Panel" and *not* "Match Sequence". Once this change was made, my crashing issues dropped to almost zero.

The broken Trim feedback is still extremely frustrating, but I work around it by using the "play around edit" function while in Trim mode, as this will loop the scrubber and give me visual feedback on my production monitor.

So far the system has been pretty solid, but we do suffer from other Premiere Pro bugs, like randomly occurring red frames and crazy flickering on clips that have Broadcast safe or (to a lesser extent) Three-way colour corrector applied.

Probably my biggest beef right now is the fact that I cannot trust Premiere Pro to export my video as I see it on the timeline. It has happened on several occasions that production staff have come back to the editor saying that there are red frames or other visual glitches in a video in the archive. When we check the sequence in Premiere, everything is fine. It is during export via the Media Encoder that these errors are introduced. As far as I'm concerned, the lack of "what you see is what you get" is a capital offence for a non-linear editing system. We never had any of these problems with CS6 - they all got introduced in CC. Had I known about all these glitches a couple of years ago, there's no way I would have recommended that our company go with Premiere Pro, because the editor needs to have confidence that the software will deliver "what you see is what you get". All the great funky features in the Creative Cloud (and there are lots of really great features) don't amount to a hill of beans if I can't trust my system to export properly.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]