ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh WilliamsSystem very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:55:26 pm

Hi,

First of all, I have used this forum before and I really appreciate all the help you guys give for apparently no reward other then that good ol feeling from doing a good thing!

I have looked over other threads and all the answers seem so specific to each system and I find it hard to find generic info on how to speed up premier pro...maybe it always is specific.

I edit DSLR footage (.MOV) often with many layers although I experience problems with only 2. The playback cannot catch up with what I am doing so I feel like I am editing blind most of the time. Often I will only notice something on the final export which makes my process extremely time consuming. I put my playback Res to 1/4. When playing back I have just noticed that it plays great when the render bar is yellow, but starts messing up on green and I don't seem to get any blue...

I am working on a Dell Precision m4500 with:
8GB Ram
64 bit Windows 7 proffesional
Nvidia Quadro FX 880M
Intel core i7 CPU
Premiere Pro CS6 (Ram reserved for other applications 1.5GB, optimized rendering for memory)

I think parif not most of the problem is that my project files run off of an external hard drive which is not the fastest because my C drive is so full (232GB) I don't know why it is so full, all I keep on there is music (35GB) I have used disc cleanup and it helped that a little but not too much...

Again, thank you in advance. One day I will be a rich and famous video producer and you will all be invited to my playboy mansion.
Josh

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 2:16:54 pm

Hi....

I'd bet your lack of RAM is a pretty big contributor to your performance woes.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Josh WilliamsRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 3:09:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, one thing I missed out was that my system did run allot faster previously

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 6:35:28 pm

how do you have your ram allocation set up in PPro prefs?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 6:40:56 pm

In this case dont use external drive but a second internal one.
Clean out your C drive. Put the music on another drive. C'drive is only for programs and while you are at it move your Documents folder to a second drive.
Also clean out your media cache (preferences) and move it to the second drive.
See if that will help.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Josh WilliamsRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:57:40 pm

I think I did specify that if this is what you mean 1.5GB reserved for other applications 6.5 for Adobe

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:39:05 pm

I am now considering turning an old PC into a server, because I am broke as! would this be a sensible option? Would it be any worse then turning it in to a raid drive? (not sure I know the difference..)

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 8:24:10 pm

Your C drive may be filling up with a ton of audio pre-renders over time. That can be one culprit - the Adobe software tends to default to saving them on the C drive.

Look in your preferences for where it is storing peak and pre-render audio files.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]