ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh WilliamsSystem very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:55:26 pm

Hi,

First of all, I have used this forum before and I really appreciate all the help you guys give for apparently no reward other then that good ol feeling from doing a good thing!

I have looked over other threads and all the answers seem so specific to each system and I find it hard to find generic info on how to speed up premier pro...maybe it always is specific.

I edit DSLR footage (.MOV) often with many layers although I experience problems with only 2. The playback cannot catch up with what I am doing so I feel like I am editing blind most of the time. Often I will only notice something on the final export which makes my process extremely time consuming. I put my playback Res to 1/4. When playing back I have just noticed that it plays great when the render bar is yellow, but starts messing up on green and I don't seem to get any blue...

I am working on a Dell Precision m4500 with:
8GB Ram
64 bit Windows 7 proffesional
Nvidia Quadro FX 880M
Intel core i7 CPU
Premiere Pro CS6 (Ram reserved for other applications 1.5GB, optimized rendering for memory)

I think parif not most of the problem is that my project files run off of an external hard drive which is not the fastest because my C drive is so full (232GB) I don't know why it is so full, all I keep on there is music (35GB) I have used disc cleanup and it helped that a little but not too much...

Again, thank you in advance. One day I will be a rich and famous video producer and you will all be invited to my playboy mansion.
Josh

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 2:16:54 pm

Hi....

I'd bet your lack of RAM is a pretty big contributor to your performance woes.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Josh WilliamsRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 3:09:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, one thing I missed out was that my system did run allot faster previously

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 6:35:28 pm

how do you have your ram allocation set up in PPro prefs?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 6:40:56 pm

In this case dont use external drive but a second internal one.
Clean out your C drive. Put the music on another drive. C'drive is only for programs and while you are at it move your Documents folder to a second drive.
Also clean out your media cache (preferences) and move it to the second drive.
See if that will help.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Josh WilliamsRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:57:40 pm

I think I did specify that if this is what you mean 1.5GB reserved for other applications 6.5 for Adobe

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:39:05 pm

I am now considering turning an old PC into a server, because I am broke as! would this be a sensible option? Would it be any worse then turning it in to a raid drive? (not sure I know the difference..)

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: System very slow running premier pro and my brain overloads trying to figure it out more then my system when editing!
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 8:24:10 pm

Your C drive may be filling up with a ton of audio pre-renders over time. That can be one culprit - the Adobe software tends to default to saving them on the C drive.

Look in your preferences for where it is storing peak and pre-render audio files.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]