ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Playback Resolution Issues

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin ClancyPlayback Resolution Issues
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:47:38 pm

First off, I'm using Adobe Premiere CC (2015) on a 2013 Mac Pro running OSX Yosemite. I'm editing a video with raw Canon 5D footage, some videos I downloaded that are MP4's and some titles created in After Effects with alpha channels.

I have my Playback Resolution and Paused Resolution both set to Full.

I first noticed this issue when I pulled in someone's lower third over the 5D footage. At first it looked great, nice and clean edges. However, after I rendered, the resolution of the video lowered significantly and the text edges became blurred and compressed. Then I noticed all the footage I render is compressed and lower resolution than it should be.

I exported some of the timeline with a lower third graphic as a test, and it is full resolution. This is just a playback issue, but still one that I'd like to fix. I prefer to be able to see what I'm editing full resolution.

Anyone else have this issue or know what I'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: Playback Resolution Issues
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:33:14 pm

[Kevin Clancy] "However, after I rendered, the resolution of the video lowered significantly and the text edges became blurred and compressed. Then I noticed all the footage I render is compressed and lower resolution than it should be."

What is the sequence codec is your sequence setting? This would determine the quality of the rendered preview files.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Kevin ClancyRe: Playback Resolution Issues
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:41:21 pm

Ah, this is likely the issue. I imported the sequence from Pluraleyes, it's set to Quicktime DV 24p. Any tips on what the best sequence settings are for Canon 5D footage since it's h.264 I believe.

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: Playback Resolution Issues
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 6:30:12 pm

[Kevin Clancy] "Any tips on what the best sequence settings are for Canon 5D footage since it's h.264 I believe."

Playback performance on all H264 and MP4 files is terrible, although Premiere Pro handles it better than most NLEs. Since you are exporting clean anyway, render as little as possible. However, ProRes is good or even Adobe's own MPEG-2 I-frame codec for interim preview files.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Kevin ClancyRe: Playback Resolution Issues
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 7:13:04 pm

I used to Prores everything for FCP but when I switched to Adobe it seemed to handle it better. Prores just makes the files so large, but I may start doing that again for playback. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]