ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Warp Stabilizer Effect causing large project file sizes in Premiere Pro CC 2015

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ant GonzalezWarp Stabilizer Effect causing large project file sizes in Premiere Pro CC 2015
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 2:51:42 am

This is less of a question discussion topic regarding a problem I ran into. I found a workaround to my issue, and while it's not a pretty solution it still worked for me for now. I'd love to if anybody else has a more efficient way of handling this issue.

I was working on a project in Premiere and after a few days of editing I realized my computer seemed to be lagging. I'm a frequent saver. I subconsciously hit command S every few minutes when I'm work. On my last project my save times started taking around a minute each time I hit save instead of just a couple seconds. I also noticed that there was lots of GB's being eaten up on another drive when I wasn't adding any data it. I eventually found out the culprit was the Warp Stabilizer Effect.

I was handed over a bunch of b roll to edit that was shot with very shaky hands and after narrowing down the footage to the best shots I went and added Warp Stabilizer to the clips so they were usable. I know this beefs up the file size but didn't realize just how Adobe Premiere handles the analyzed clip data until now.

I had the base of my interview on my timeline with my stabilized b roll clips further down the timeline so I could have everything in one place and could scroll over and drag corresponding b roll on top of the interview track. When I edit, after a significant amount of changes I like to duplicate my sequence and create a new version. For example, if I'm working on "Sequence Name Rough 01" I'll create a "Sequence Name Rough 02", "Sequence Name Rough 03", and so on. That way if down the line I realize I liked something the way it was before I'm able to pull up that old sequence for reference and copy and paste a certain section into the new sequence.

Here's the problem... The clip analysis data that the Warp Stabilizer Effect needs is stored in the Premiere project file and each time you duplicate a sequence, the data is duplicated with it and increases your file size each time. This led to me having a 965.9MB Premiere project file eventually and about 60GB of space eaten up in my autosave folder.

My solution... It's not a pretty solution but what I did is do a file>save as and for example, saved my project name "Project Name_01.prproj" as "Project Name_01_Condensed.prproj". I then took all of my previous versions of the edit I was working on and deleted them and only kept the most current sequence. Then I saved "Project Name_01_Condensed.prproj" and watched my project drop from 965.9MB in size down to 71.5MB. My saves only took a few seconds again and Premiere also ran smoother. It's a dirty fix but it worked for me. Of course if I ever wanted to reference an older version of the edit I would have to open up the old project file that contained all of the previous sequences.

I know I can't be the only one who uses Warp Stabilizer regularly who is finding this to be a nuisance. What would be ideal is if there was a way for Premiere to store the clip analysis data in a way where the analyzed clip data could be stored in it's own part of the project file that could be accessed when that clip is in use in a timeline. Right now it seems like the clip analysis data is stored within the actual sequence data, so when you duplicate a sequence, all of that redundant also copied.

If you're listening Adobe... is it possible to create a way to have a clip analysis reference file or separate packet of code or something within the Premiere project file that can be accessed that is dedicated to the clip analysis data so redundant data isn't created for Warp Stabilizer with each new sequence? I'm not a coder so I don't know how hard that would be but it would be a great feature for a future update. P.S. If you're listening, love your products Adobe!

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Warp Stabilizer Effect causing large project file sizes in Premiere Pro CC 2015
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:40:23 pm

Interesting...I remember this being an issue with CC (aka CS7) but thought they
had fixed that entirely as of CC 2014

Return to posts index

Dustin ParsonsRe: Warp Stabilizer Effect causing large project file sizes in Premiere Pro CC 2015
by on Jun 7, 2016 at 11:55:09 pm

This just happened to me too! I wasn't sure what was causing the large file sizes but Warp Stabilizer has to be the culprit. Thanks for the workaround

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Warp Stabilizer Effect causing large project file sizes in Premiere Pro CC 2015
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 12:52:36 am

its recommended that you render out the warp stabilizers from the sequence and import back in. Also, luts on individual clips instead of one in adjustment layer will make large project files as well.

Return to posts index

Dustin ParsonsRe: Warp Stabilizer Effect causing large project file sizes in Premiere Pro CC 2015
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 11:46:32 pm

Yeah... that's a pipe dream for some of us. I'm stabilizing every single shot in this piece I'm working on and have producers making changes every hour – I can't afford to spend time roundtripping a stabilized shot with every tweak. The concept of a workflow (edit, then color, then vfx, then audio, etc...) doesn't exist for a lot of us now, everything has to be done simultaneously because the turnarounds are so tight.

That being said, you're correct.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]