ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Archiving and reinstating a project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike BiewerArchiving and reinstating a project
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 10:48:29 pm

Hey everyone,

I ran into an issue today and I wanted to ping the group to find out what everyone else does and maybe learn more about my issue.

Today I pulled out an archive drive (Copy/Paste whole folder. NOT Project Manager) which contains everything from the project in an organized fashion. I believe it has everything right down the scratch files. I took it off my drive and dropped it onto my SSD drive in my tower. I disconnected my drive and fired up PrPro.

After about 15 minutes of editing PrPro locked up. I shut down, started back up, and again after about 15 minutes PrPro became unresponsive. I've been watching the activity monitor and it sits, maxed out on RAM after about 15 minutes with PrPro taking up as much as 11GB and the file cache taking up another 7GB+. (I've got 20 GB total)

Any idea what might be going on here? How do you put a project to bed and bring it back to make edits?

When I was working on this project originally, I had ZERO issues with it. So I'm struggling to understand why now I am. I figure it has something to do with how it's archived and then copied back.

Any thoughts, experience, solutions, here would help.

I'm running CC 2014.2 on an early 2009 MacPro 2.66GHz Quad Core Xeon with 20 GB of 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 with 2GB on it. I run a PCI SSD 1 TB drive as well. Oh, I'm also running OSX 10.9.5

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Archiving and reinstating a project
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 11:18:40 pm

I'm going to call Apple out on this one. I saw a video today of a guy that was only running Mail and it was using 65 gig of RAM and calling for a Force Quit. Here's what an empty PPro project looks like on my machine:

No footage even imported.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Archiving and reinstating a project
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 11:38:34 pm

Mike,

How much free space do you have on that SSD drive? What you're describing sounds like a drive that does not have enough free space (10 to 20% suggested).

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mike BiewerRe: Archiving and reinstating a project
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:20:55 pm

I've got about 50% space on there open. It's a 1 TB SSD and the project is about 200GB's. All of the apps are on there too, so I'm sitting at about 500GB's free.

I can't use the Project Manager to archive this particular project either. I thought I'd maybe try just grabbing what I need and opening a new project, but it error's out at the end of the function every time.

Do you guys always use the Project Manager to archive? It isn't something I usually do. I usually just copy/paste the whole project. I don't want to lose one thing...but maybe I am?

Return to posts index

Tommy DavidRe: Archiving and reinstating a project
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 7:19:48 am

I don't use project manager, I drag and drop and it always works. It always knows where the files are and it doesn't have to locate them. Even if it doesn't look the same as it was before I put it on the hard drive. I always make sure before I delete the main one.

This is an Adobe with Apple issue, not just an Apple issue. Because of the way the ram works in OSX, Adobe has not coded their programs well with it. For example, the new speed grade is about impossible to use on extremely powerful Macs because it will tell the person they ran out of application memory. This is not an issue with a PC.

Photoshop is another example, you can open up a picture that isn't that big and it will want to use your whole hard drive as a scratch disk and tell you that you don't have enough disk space left, when you have plenty. Which is why I put the scratch disk on an external SSD now.

Adobe Premiere has not done this to me yet but I know how it works so I know it could happen. I won't explain it in technical terms but think about it like this... In the newer OSX almost ALL RAM is used. In other words it isn't idle like back in the old days.

Now, it's not actually being used but it's there set apart to be used by programs, it thinks it knows about how much will need to be set aside for your project. Now, technically what I just said is not exactly right but without pulling out a long and boring article to show you, I'll just tell you the way I understood it when someone who knew what they were talking about told me.

This is why you can have 32GB of ram and have no program open and check the activity monitor and it will say you are using most of it.

I use Desktop hard drives at home but on the go I edit on a portable hard drive. There are 2GB 7200RPM portable hard drives for cheap nowadays. A 1Tb will go for like 70 bucks at 7200RPM. It won't treat that drive the same. In a way it will, but in a way it won't.

I do sometimes edit on my macbook hard drive but that is only when it's a very small project that I usually don't care about and will delete anyway. Such as color grade test, seeing how a new lens looks, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]