ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

What is "baking in" and how do you do it?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon ShankWhat is "baking in" and how do you do it?
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 3:38:53 am

I am toying around learning Resolve for color grading and everyone says if you have a premiere pro sequence with after effects links you need to bake in effects like speed ramps and warp stabilizer before you export an xml for Resolve.

What does that mean and how do you do it?

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: What is "baking in" and how do you do it?
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 1:13:10 pm

Effects applied to clips that modify the appearance of the clip in some way beyond it's normal imported appearance need to be rendered in a way that so that if the clip is imported to resolve the clip looks just they way you had it in PPro.

I'd start by duplicating your final edit in Ppro.

Then in this copy of the timeline, I'd use Premiere Pro's

Render and Replace feature. This will take the clips in your sequencne with effects and create media set where your soft effects are "baked" or rendered into the media.

learn about this here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/render-replace-effects-compositi...

that's the sequence you'd then use to generate XML which you'd take to resolve.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

James StrawnRe: What is "baking in" and how do you do it?
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 4:54:58 pm

Alex's response is good and correct. I'll just add to it. Even after doing the 'render and replace for any given AE comp there will still be a 'restore original' option to get it back to its 'un-rendered' state. So R&R is a good way to really boost performance in a project containing AE comps and you're not actually losing the comp or anything when you do it, so I suggest using it whenever you can make time for it.

As for the terminology, baked, flattened, replaced, and even rendered are all kind of fluid terms They essentially mean, 'not rendered and replaced yet', or 'not exported and re-imported' as the case may be... They're all sort of related to transcoding but aren't exactly the same. But that's all a pretty long discussion that may be more info than you need. Short of that, it is good to know more about rendering in general in PrPro, and here is a very good (brief) video about that...
https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/why-is-there-a-red-or-yellow-bar-in-...

Software Quality Assurance - Digital Video at Adobe Systems

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: What is "baking in" and how do you do it?
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 5:08:46 pm

James...

you can use render and replace on everything, right?

it's not limited to AE comps specifically, is it?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]