ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Interpreting 60fps to 24fps - Dropped Frames

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan CarrollInterpreting 60fps to 24fps - Dropped Frames
by on Jul 15, 2015 at 4:42:22 pm

I shot some footage on a Sony a7s at 59.94 fps so that I could slow it down in post to achieve a smoother camera movement. But when I interpret it to 23.976 fps in Premiere, it looks like it's dropping frames. It looks super glichy and terrible. What can I do to slow the footage down so that it looks smooth?

I am especially confused because I've used this technique in the past with footage shot on a Canon Mark III and footage recorded through a Shogun. When I interpret that footage to 23.976, it looks perfectly smooth.

Things I have tried with the Sony footage, none of which worked:
  • Interpreting to 23.976

• Dragging 59.94 clip to 23.976 sequence and slowing it down to 50%

• Frame blending

• Opening the clip in After Effects and interpreting to 23.976

• Selecting "Pixel Motion Blur" on the interpreted AE clip

• Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Megan CarrollRe: Interpreting 60fps to 24fps - Dropped Frames
    by on Jul 15, 2015 at 4:51:40 pm

I don't know if this information helps diagnose my problem, but when I scrub through the interpreted clip frame by frame, it looks like it has duplicated every frame. Each frame is held for the length of two frames.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Interpreting 60fps to 24fps - Dropped Frames
    by on Jul 15, 2015 at 7:34:56 pm

Are you sure you shot 59.94p? Sounds like you shot 59.94i. That's 29.97fps and interlaced. That format should never be called that. It should be called 29.97i

Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Megan CarrollRe: Interpreting 60fps to 24fps - Dropped Frames
    by on Jul 15, 2015 at 8:13:09 pm

Yes, I'm sure I shot 59.94. I actually figured out the problem though. My shutter speed was not set high enough. Turns out it needs to be at least double the frame rate. Makes sense, but I didn't even think about it when I was shooting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]