ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to edit RAW 4-6K for an HD output - Recropping?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon ReichelHow to edit RAW 4-6K for an HD output - Recropping?
by on Jul 15, 2015 at 11:54:51 am

Hey guys,

so I cut a lot of RED files for 1080p output and I do a lot of cropping and stuff. My DoP already hates me for it but now he's come and said I'm not doing the scaling, etc. right and am therefore further downgrading the image. He asked me what my process was. I said: Well, I make a 1080p timeline, I pull in the RED files, I go "Set to Frame Size" and then I rescale as I need it.

And he just goes: "Ok, Set to Frame Size is your first mistake." But in classic fashion he couldn't tell me what the 'right' way was, either. So there I am worrying I'm ruining the image.

Is it better to cut in a, say, 4K timeline and then downscale the export? Thanks for your thoughts!

Oh, and as an aside: No thanks for CC15, Adobe. Working with RED in CC15 remains a nightmare. Let me just quickly mention "Source Settings"... jesus.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: How to edit RAW 4-6K for an HD output - Recropping?
by on Jul 15, 2015 at 4:29:33 pm

RED RAW comes in many different "flavors" and pixel dimensions depending on the camera and age of that camera, and we have no idea what the issues are on your end because you didn't really describe the problem precisely or tell us what the sequence settings are that automatically set when you match the clips. However, I suspect your problem is that Premiere is creating a widescreen (not 16x9) sequence, which may not be properly interpreted and displayed on your 16x9 monitor. If that is the case, one way to deal with the problem would be to, as you mentioned above, create a 1920x1080 sequence that will letterbox the full frame on a 16x9 monitor.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]